Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chained dagger RZM 120/34

Article about: I have the opportunity to purchase this but I am always skeptical when I see these chained examples. Does this look legit? Sorry for the photo quality but if it looks promising from based on

Default Chained dagger RZM 120/34

I have the opportunity to purchase this but I am always skeptical when I see these chained examples. Does this look legit? Sorry for the photo quality but if it looks promising from based on these photos I will also examine it in person before purchasing so if there's some detail that the photos do not show I can confirm it.

Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34Chained dagger RZM 120/34

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chained dagger RZM 120/34
    P
    Many

?

JR you know better than that ...its parted Junk with Type A center ramp and Wotans knot ..Type B1 Chain.
    Grip eagle has been messed with and the time table for the award is off by one year if the SS mann received this 120/34 at the Nov 9th 1934 ceremony.
    Production started in February 1934. Regardless of the award time frame the configuration is off.
    I seen your inventory and is nothing short of excellent..surely this would not be one in your stable.

If at all I would expect a whole example in the Type A / B1 time frame.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The combination of a nickel silver dagger as with this 120/34, with this like matched early scabbard, does not concern me with the edged weapon shown. At times we see the same with maker marked 33's also matched with similar union.

The M36 SS chain dagger was a private purchase item. Would it be out of the realm of possibility that an SS officer / NCO wanting to wear his initially awarded dagger, with the new chain scabbard assembly that was designated in 1936?

It was also known during the infamous era that a close friend or relative of a fallen comrade, would switch daggers at the funeral of the deceased, as a showing of respect, close tie, or honor of the one who passed away.

Lastly, the patina of the dagger that is shown, compared to that of the scabbard, flows for me personally.

?

Your thought on this combination, Lar ???

Type I - Chained SS Dagger | Lakesidetrader

The Chain configuration is off and thats not fine with me.
    The combination of an early dagger into a Chained Scabbard is another discussion of being Vet related ..no Provenance here if it is Vet related we dont know that.
    My concern is the Chain , Ramp and Wotans knot ( Type A ) which is obvious even through the poor photos the Chain is B1 as stated above.

A few red flags for me and all it takes is one with SS daggers.

Best Larry

Paul Hogles dagger is unrelated and is a Type C rig with an early dagger..thats not the issue here JR.Not looking into different daggers placed into different chained scabbards.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

"My concern is the Chain , Ramp and Wotans knot ( Type A ) which is obvious even through the poor photos the Chain is B1 as stated above."

Too many 'explainations' is not what I would want in a Chained SS dagger in my collection. JMO.

-Serge

Same opinion as wagner and Larry. The "eagle" just part of it I've had too many guys trying to sell me something with some made up theory or another to try and explain away a parts piece. Some of them were so wild it would have made me laugh (some of the theories were really "off the wall") although maybe some of them might really have been serious? Or not, and just looking for some sales, who knows? Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chained dagger RZM 120/34  
    Attached Images Attached Images Chained dagger RZM 120/34 

?

Actually center band and Wotan knot-olgy is not an exact science by any means. And far from being a red flag to dismiss a dagger based on that.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'm no expert in these chained daggers by any means but something that did stand out to me, even despite the poor photos he provided I can see some of the chain links are in pretty rough shape that leads me to believe they were either damaged or replaced.

The eagle area looks kind of rough as well. For a chained dagger this is priced pretty modestly, about half of what these retail cor from a dealer, still nothing to scoff at but in my mind a pretty good deal.

Edit: the question remains - do I drive 1000 miles to take a look at this in person? Do I try to haggle the price down? This guy also has an NSKK chained dagger (also pictured) which looks to be in better condition. I could provide pictures but I would need to start another thread.
    Last edited by solovei; 12-28-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast