Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chained SS Dagger assistance

Article about: Gentlemen, I would appreciate your review and thoughts on authenticity of this SS dagger which I have been offered for sale. As usual many thanks in advance. No maker mark on this dagger.

Default Chained SS Dagger assistance

Gentlemen, I would appreciate your review and thoughts on authenticity of this SS dagger which I have been offered for sale. As usual many thanks in advance. No maker mark on this dagger.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chained SS Dagger assistance   Chained SS Dagger assistance  

Chained SS Dagger assistance   Chained SS Dagger assistance  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chained SS Dagger assistance
    P
    Many

The Northerners will set you straight - but chained 1936 daggers are a fakers dream .... they command HUUUUGE prices, and scare the living *** out of me!
    Tread carefully my friend!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Two camera types used to take these pictures!

Not in love with it, for starters look within the blue circles. That fitment is incorrect & not even close. One thing to see proper grip to hilt fitting with grip shrinkage but that grip grew. Suspect parts dagger. The etch too, something is not right about that. Wait for Larry to post what he sees as he has seen a ton of these and can provide more insight.

Addendum: I took another look at the etch. To my eyes, it's noy pre war but post war. See inside the blue circle as the line running up the I in the word "heist" is a mess. mIf you have a full motto etch post it if you can. That error wine be found elsewhere too, no doubt.

Wait for others to post their opinion, I have been wrong before on many things but this to me is a walk away from it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chained SS Dagger assistance   Chained SS Dagger assistance  

Typical Early production B1 type .......I can understand Riches concerns with the upper grip to upper crossguard fit..as I have seen these also on Type A examples as well.

Due to the angle of the photo the fit does appear to be a little extreme...but Im not going to dismiss it.

The Motto we can not forget that the process was done by acid etch hand process ...so some of these mottos will vary due to the acid.
    It is also normal to see shallow etches on these chained SS daggers as it is what they are identifiable by.....and only on no maker marked examples.

The scabbard and dagger have been together for a long time as seen by the shadow left beneath the lower guard from the upper scabbard fitting.

The yellowish toning is also a common feature on the crossguards ..having the heavy nickel content.
    As collectors we can not forget that there are a few Chained SS Producers / assemblers ..as not every Chained SS Dagger with their grips and guards are all the same.
    To this date it is unknown how many ...but through observation and examination ..there are more than one.

Except for the photo angle of the upper grip fit...I feel this dagger is a correct early production type.
    I would appreciate as well Serge , Dave and JR to chime in on this as well.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

It's a wonderful period M36, all the way through. I've tried to purchase this dagger in the past, though it was not available.

I did not offer you this dagger for sale. I am the owner of this dagger and it is not for sale. It is shown in the museum section of my website, which is some of my personal collection. I have a dagger just like it en-route from Canada and is virtually identical but my personal dagger is NOT for sale.

William Kramer

?

Perhaps a scam. I know the owner of this dagger, and it's not for sale.

Quote by JRMeda View Post
    Perhaps a scam. I know the owner of this dagger, and it's not for sale.
    correct, I am the owner of the dagger posted and it is not for sale.

William Kramer

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Typical Early production B1 type .......

Except for the photo angle of the upper grip fit...I feel this dagger is a correct early production type.
    I would appreciate as well Serge , Dave and JR to chime in on this as well.

Regards Larry
    correct, this is as real as it gets and right out of a Vet's estate. This dagger is a prized piece within my personal collection.

nothing but positive things said about it here:

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

there is a line out the door of offers to buy it but this one is not for sale.

William Kramer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast