Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Early SS Boker Dagger

Article about: Hello colleagues. Today I am showing a Boker SS Dagger. After looking at the various parts of this dagger I came to the following conclusion. The dagger is an early type and the parts are ch

?

Default Early SS Boker Dagger

Hello colleagues. Today I am showing a Boker SS Dagger. After looking at the various parts of this dagger I came to the following conclusion. The dagger is an early type and the parts are characteristic of the period and of this maker. Runes are correct for Boker and in correct position. The fittings and cross-guards are early type and so is the scabbard. A pommel screw looks good and doesn't have much disassembly damage. The grip is nice and fits the cross guards well. The scabbard also fits the crossguard well. All scabbard screws are in place. The blade still has a crossgrain. The motto is dark and typical of Boker. The logo looks correct from the second type. On the other examples I looked at, the logo was more heavily engraved, but I think that is also correct.
    Now comes the questionable details as always. Most examples I've looked at have a different eagle than this one. I also already own a similar Boker dagger, which also has a different eagle. The scabbard of this dagger is reversed accordingly and the direction of fastening of the hanger is reversed. This must have been done because there is more rust on the front of the scabbard. There is an irregular contour of the grip that I have noted in one of the photos, I don't know if this is normal. All hangers of this type that I looked at had small differences. On this hanger, the lower strap looks newer than the rest and may have been replaced.
    Please give your opinions!
    Regards Georgi.Early SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker Dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early SS Boker Dagger
    P
    Many

Nice dagger I see no issues with it having the first type crossguards and 2nd type Logo ...very typical.
    Runes button is 1st type and correct...Grip eagle photo is not good but appears to show the some correct detail.

The grips were not machine made but hand made by contouring on a lathe machine...so each grip may show a slight imperfection,but then not at all.

Nice early hanger too
    I have seen this dagger before and can not remember where...who is selling it ?
    Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Larry. Thanks for the opinion. I am attaching a few more photos. I don't have any good pictures of the eagle. The first picture is an enlarged picture of the eagle on this dagger. The second and third photos are of the most common eagle at this maker.
    Thanks Georgi.Early SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker Dagger

The grip eagle could be Ernst Pack but ...there were only a handful of grip eagle producers and Pack was a large producer of SA and SS daggers who depended on filling in a gap in production.

The 2 other grip eagles you show are 2 different types as well which shows that even Boker had a need to finish a production number.
    IMO I still see no issues with this dagger you posted and of course more thoughts and comments are welcome.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Looks like a very nice dagger to me sir. I've always wanted one of these so congrats on a nice find.

I think lakesidetrader had this one if my memory serves me correct.

Tim

I have a Boker with the same high neck eagle and the stubby runes as this dagger. IMO, the earliest production Bokers typically had this configuration.

I've seen plenty 48/34 vertical hangers, but this is the first time I have seen a 48/35.

Nice dagger!

?

Hi Tim.
    This dagger is up for auction. Not from Lakesidetrader.
    Regards Georgi.

?

Hi SkylineDrive. Today I looked at more examples of this variant. In Boker's configuration with these runes, 8 out of 10 examples are with high-necked eagles.
    I've also been looking into vertical hangers. Before 01.09.34 were produced without rzm control, after that date Georg Gotz patented the type and shape of this hanger. Then production must have started with the marking СС48/34РЗМ. It seems that with this marking they are the most common. I am attaching several photos from various reference books of such hangers produced in the following years.
    Regards Georgi.Early SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker DaggerEarly SS Boker Dagger

I have seen the 48/35 in Wittmann's book, but I have never seen another example "in the wild" so to speak. I have multiple 48/34 hangers... they seem to be much more common.

I have seen a few of these 48/35s ...but not many ..just a handful over the years and I agree the 34s are more common.

Heres a lakeside archive example > SS Vertical Hanger 1935 | Lakesidetrader