Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help! Need Verification

Article about: Hello all, what a pleasure to be with such a group of knowledgeable, and intelligent people. I am a first time collector and I did perform as much research as possible. The following photos

?

Default Help! Need Verification

Hello all, what a pleasure to be with such a group of knowledgeable, and intelligent people. I am a first time collector and I did perform as much research as possible. The following photos are not mine but from the dealer and I have already purchased the item. The dealer has excellent reviews but they do admit there can be times where they themselves are fooled and can be complacent themselves. Therefore should I find it is not an original I will be able to return it. The deed is done, but not undoable. Could you all take a gander at the photos and give me your first impressions. I noticed a few discrepancies but perhaps it's the angles of the photos. These are the only photos I have at this point until I receive it. It is coming from a US seller and I am based in the US as well. One particular area is the missing "hyphen" between "Solingen Foche" on the blade. Also where it is chipped it seems to be dark all the way through. The patina and the wear and tear on the leather buckle and dagger seem authentic. I'm new so please be easy on me.

I am aware the scabbard was repainted, and that was made clear. Just as an FYI.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help! Need Verification   Help! Need Verification  

Help! Need Verification   Help! Need Verification  

Help! Need Verification  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help! Need Verification
    P
    Many

Looks to be original SS dagger by Gottlieb.
    Somebody had made some hard cleaning back of the blade, but from those photos looks like not so much, there can see some crossgrain still there what is good.
    Crossguard has SS district numeral III, what indicate it came from Berlin distributions center.
    -TJ-

I see no issues with it and you have the 2nd motto variant type where the "H" and German "S" in Heist have the shorter serifs on the bottom of those letters.
    Somebody did have a go out trying to pick out the grip eagle on the right wing.
    The scabbard IMO does NOT appear to be repainted and looks original to me...but could also be the lighting in the photos.

Maybe if you can get more photos of the scabbard ?
    District III is correct as point of distribution as Fingaill pointed out.

Nice early long nosed snap clip on the hanger is a plus.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

A big thank you to you all for your comments. As soon as I receive it which should be on Thursday this week I will post more higher quality and detailed photos for your review. Again I cannot thank you all enough. This message board is more of a treasure than the treasures themselves.

?

Ok all.. people requested more photos. I hope these are ok. I did the best I could with the best lighting I could.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help! Need Verification   Help! Need Verification  

Help! Need Verification  

Greater photos always exhibits greater detail and thankyou Matthew for the extra photos.

Im leaning more now that the scabbard HAS BEEN repainted and is non matching with the condition of the rest of the dagger especially the grip. I would expect a few bumps and scrapes along the way ...but yet the scabbard itself is early and belongs with the dagger.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry my bad I forgot to include these side shots of the scabbard. There are a few marks here and there probably from it hanging on the belt. I agree it probably was repainted. Just thought I would add them. I should have included them earlier.

Help! Need Verification  

For scabbard comparisons only
    A scraped up and worn during use scabbard will hold more historical value as being untouched than a recent repaint any day.
    Below is an NSKK I had at one time with all original paint.

Early NSKK Dienstdolch by Melzer and Feller

Painting over a scabbard hides the character of the dagger and the owner who wore it.
    The NSKK man as you can see was very active and you can see by the repetitive swing marks that wore down to the metal.
    Thats what I call desirable ,because it shows ownership.

Best Larry

?

Larry I 100% agree with you. It shows genuine use. I learned a long time ago not to clean or make any modifications or repairs to antiques. Unfortunately some people don’t get that…. The SS one I have looks like a very smooth even black coat of paint.. and no dents believe it or not. And it could have been sanded… who knows.. but as you say it should show some use. I would venture to guess the NSKK would show more use than SS. The SS ones were for more formal events and show instead of a daily use thing (just generalizing here). I’m by no means an expert here. I’m just purely speculating. I’m just guessing here but NSKK’s would probably wear it more often to show it off.. again I’m just guessing..