Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

It's time for another round of, is it too good to be true? Tonight's contestent; SS dienstdolch RZM 121/34

Article about: Hope the comedic title was off-putting for anyone, it's Sunday night and I'm in a joking mood. Down to business. I've been offered an allegedly original SS RZM 121/34 Dienstdolch by a seller

Default It's time for another round of, is it too good to be true? Tonight's contestent; SS dienstdolch RZM 121/34

Hope the attempted comedic title wasn't off-putting for anyone, it's Sunday night and I'm in a joking mood. Down to business.

I've been offered an allegedly original SS RZM 121/34 Dienstdolch by a seller I haven't dealt with before. He's parting out a large collection of daggers and swords are others he has sent photos of have been legit. I don't have any experience with SS versions, solely SA so I wanted to have the experts here weigh in.

My observations so far;

The blade looks to be in pretty good shape with cross graining, the motto appears deep, but lacks any darkening. It does appear the ridge doesn't quite align at the tip, trick of the light, or repro? The RZM placement looks OK based on comparing it to other photos on this forum and elsewhere. I see no district marks on the guard, but have read the the 121/34 don't typically have such stamps.

The handle wood looks in pretty good shape, eagle looks alright in it's placement. The rune I don't think I like, I haven't found any example photos of 121/34 with the same coloring of this rune. Could be the camera? Again, I don't have the knowledge to know it's a deal breaker or not.

There's also the bit of almost brassy color showing on the upper guard, is this normal dirt, or a sign of repro? The nut also appears to have been messed with, pliers perhaps? Parts dagger?

Scabbard looks not bad all things considered, but the photos of it aren't the best.

Bottom line, if this is real and the price is right, I don't want to miss out.

Thanks as always for the opinions, I really appreciate it. This community has saved me a ton of money so far and I hope to be able to repay the favor down the road.

-Sam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture It's time for another round of, is it too good to be true? Tonight's contestent; SS dienstdolch RZM 121/34   It's time for another round of, is it too good to be true? Tonight's contestent; SS dienstdolch RZM 121/34  

It's time for another round of, is it too good to be true? Tonight's contestent; SS dienstdolch RZM 121/34   It's time for another round of, is it too good to be true? Tonight's contestent; SS dienstdolch RZM 121/34  

It's time for another round of, is it too good to be true? Tonight's contestent; SS dienstdolch RZM 121/34   It's time for another round of, is it too good to be true? Tonight's contestent; SS dienstdolch RZM 121/34  

Last edited by PNWcollector; 03-22-2021 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Typo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement It's time for another round of, is it too good to be true? Tonight's contestent; SS dienstdolch RZM 121/34
    P
    Many

The flash washes out some of the detail ..something that the collectors frown upon because edged weapon types are hard to photograph.

What I can see through some of that flash are expected details of this 121/34 type.
    I would ask you please to post better photos using indirect lighting or outside on an overcast day. You can repay the favor with better photos please

What is the price tag ?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry,

I am sorry for the quality of the photos, I've got a request in for better ones from the seller as these were all he provided me initially. I wish I was able to inspect it in person.

He has yet to name a price... I know valuation and price isn't typically discussed on here, but what's the range for an example like this? It seems SS blades as a whole seem to have a big range from $2000 to $10k and north depending on provenance and condition.

Thank you as always for the quick response. Will post better pictures when/if I get them.

-Sam

Update:

Seller says he is working on better photos. He's asking $3500 or reasonable offer. Not sure what his definition of "reasonable".

-Sam

?

Period dagger, repainted shell.

Quote by PNWcollector View Post
    Update:

Seller says he is working on better photos. He's asking $3500 or reasonable offer. Not sure what his definition of "reasonable".

-Sam
    Reasonable means ...hes willing to negotiate a lower price but not too much lower.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by JRMeda View Post
    Period dagger, repainted shell.
    JR, Thank you for the reply. I'm assuming a repainted shell hurts the value some?

Larry, in your opinion is $3500 in the ballpark for this one? I've been unable to find a sale for a 121/34 that lists price to compare it with. Thanks as always.

-Sam

If it were me ..2500 to 2800.

The scabbard paint missing and chipped away does devalue it a little.

Reasonable if you really wanted it would be 3000....if at 3500 ..you could wait and spend $500 more and get a very decent conditioned example.
    Patience delivers the best

Regards Larry

“Patience delivers the best”

Very true Larry, excellent advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast