Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My new Chained SS M36 Type B1

Article about: Hello the forum Fresh from this week.....My new B1 Hope you will enjoy

?

Cool My new Chained SS M36 Type B1

Hello the forum

Fresh from this week.....My new B1
    Hope you will enjoy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new Chained SS M36 Type B1   My new Chained SS M36 Type B1  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My new Chained SS M36 Type B1
    P
    Many

?

....Other view to judge this beauty ......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new Chained SS M36 Type B1   My new Chained SS M36 Type B1  

My new Chained SS M36 Type B1  

Hello Athor .... did you do your research before purchasing it ?
    Have you compared with other B1 types?

Last question before the community digs into this example you posted.....Did you purchase this from a reputable source?
    Im very hopeful that someone gave this to you.
    Decent photos tells the truth ..which most of your photos are decent.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

HelloLarry
    Evevrything seems correct to me for a B1, the lower crossguard is marked HE, chain non magnetic is OK as the SS logo, ....Al the caracteristics are ok (for me) and conforms with the ones showed in the SIEGERT book.
    I've more detailed photos, tell me the ones you want

Hello Athor ...its threads like these sometimes I hate pouring cold water on and I dont like doing it ...when a collector seems to have found a gem and their hearts are won. Please understand this is only about the dagger.

1. Yes a few more photos that would include this " HE " marking on the lower guard which I did not see and also a better shot of the motto.

2. Show a photo of the top of the upper guard and tang nut looking downward.

Your research has proven true to the fact that it " Looks and appears " in some details as a Type B1

Thread for reference > My Chained SS Type B1

Lets start with the scabbard :
    The center ramp is correct

the upper and lower scabbard fitting ...with most certainty is plated nickel over steel ...as seen with some lifting of the nickel on some of those areas.
    Nickel plating came into the mid production period with Type B2 and Type C ( Please refer to the thread link I provided above )

The cart did not come before the Ox ...so a typical Initial production B1 type should have Nickel fittings
    The scabbard itself technically should be a painted type ...but there have been very rare instances that anodized have been used ...but in the case of these expensive Chained SS daggers..its best to stay with what has been commonly found in material usage and craftmanship

The chain :
    The upper scabbard link connector is nickel plated..the rest of the links appear as a B1 Type and the connector square attached...were added on at some point in time. ( Not original to the chain )

The mark should have the lighter application and not a heavier hit ...but who knows..this might be one of those one offs that is correct.

The Grip :

There is a gouge mark that has been painted over below the left wing of the grip eagle

The crossguards :
    Either these guards are nickel and were very heavily cleaned or they to are also Type B2 and C Nickel plated over steel.

Show the HE marking you speak of please.

What page in Siegerts reference is your source of reference..as too many details of concern would not allow me to purchase this dagger in a crazy expensive market and also fakers sharpening their craft.

This dagger IMO is not one of the sharpest tools in the fakers box.

A Type B1 dagger will have the same details as a Type A with the exception of a septum in the nasal cavity. The wotans Knot connectors can vary in tappering.

I would further encourage reading through the many Threads here within this subforum along with quick link I provided above.
    To spend that kind of money...these daggers have to be absolutely right that conforms to those period production types.

Again ...I dont like replying to threads like this ...but sometimes its a must to protect the buyer.
    More comments and opinions welcome and please Athor ...its nothing personal ...its just dagger only business.

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 06-13-2022 at 01:53 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by ATHOR View Post
    HelloLarry
    Evevrything seems correct to me for a B1, the lower crossguard is marked HE, chain non magnetic is OK as the SS logo, ....Al the caracteristics are ok (for me) and conforms with the ones showed in the SIEGERT book.
    I've more detailed photos, tell me the ones you want
    Given the increasing level of sophistication by some of the newer fakers over at least the past several years (multiple forums) - I've seen some supposed most knowledgeable individuals who were wrong.*** To get a better sense of what we are looking at, besides some of what has been mentioned, for a start that I think is going to require some much better images of the face side of the chain-set (IMO).

*** At this point in time not to be taken as any form of judgement one way or the other. Best Regards, Fred

?

Hello all,
    I'm so sorry that my pictures fooled you and make you judge that some parts ot the chain is made from plated nickel over steel.....NO NO NO.......AND FIRST OF ALL THIS DAGGER IS NOT FOR SALE (I'm a collector not a DEALER)

So let us talk the advocate :

1 : ABSOLUTELY ALL THE SILVER PARTS OF THE SCABBARD ARE MADE FROM NICKEL SILVER (NEUSILBER) and are NON MAGNETICS (and Yes I know what is plated silver over steel)
    2 : The wottan connectors are not squarred (see new pictures) and have the same shape of onoe original example show in the SIEGERT'S bood page 376 ( picture attached) and as shown in this post : https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attac...s-dsc00205.jpg
    3 : The SS LOGO is hand applied, one can clearly see that there's a deeper side than the opposite (see new picture)
    4 : The dagger fits perfectly the scabbard even if this one is ANODIZED "but there have been very rare instances that anodized have been used" and once more all the pieces are nickel silver(see pictures)
    5 : The upper scabbard link connector is NOT nickel plated but nickel silver - what you have seen is not rust but only dirt

So end of the first part. I'll talk about he dagger itself soon......

My new Chained SS M36 Type B1   My new Chained SS M36 Type B1  

?

Oh, I've forgotten : take a look at the screws ;-)

So Athor....your dagger fittings has been severely overcleaned and polished that gives the effect of it resembling later production period fittings? Is this what we are seeing ?

I see no patina whatsoever ..so the fittings have been very over cleaned ?

Still waiting for more photos
    Top crossguard and this HE marking as well.

I never said you were a dealer and do not know where that thought came from

and I feel its safe to say that your first photos in your first post are horrible then...giving the wrong impression of the dagger?

So....were the dagger fittings that are supposed to be early nickel ..they are over cleaned? Just curious...as I see no other alternative of it being anything else but that.

Regards Larry

Still undecided, I took the images posted and digitally tried to make the subject dagger a little larger and lighter/brighter to try and see the details better. Maybe some new images that are closer to approximating those in the book could help? Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new Chained SS M36 Type B1  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast