Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need opinions on SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936

Article about: Hi all, I've become fairly well versed with SS daggers recently, but still don't have a chained example in my collection to compare to. Chained SS daggers always give me pause so I'd like ot

?

Default Need opinions on SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936

Hi all,

I've become fairly well versed with SS daggers recently, but still don't have a chained example in my collection to compare to. Chained SS daggers always give me pause so I'd like other opinions on this one. I'm not sure I like the eagle on this one either; I've never come across one with such a dark patina. Also, the lower cross guard is not marked with a roman numeral, and both guards are plated. Weren't Boker cross guards nickel?

Thanks!
    Dzyner

I collect all types of WW2 relics, with a specialty in German SS Daggers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need opinions on SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936
    P
    Many

Default re: Need opinions on SS-Dienstdolch Modell 1936

I cant answer your question on the cross guards, but I would think no.

sure seems good to this piker... I dont have the greatest monitor though. perhaps the chain has been cleaned up a little??

it will be interesting to read what others think on this one.

I think it's O.K. Boker were one of the first manufacturers to offer chrome plated crossguards, pommel nuts etc. Chrome plating was a new thing, and obviated the need of polishing the brightware as had to be done with nickel. What you're seeing is where the chrome plate has lifted off the nickel base. The eagle is fine IMO as well. It looks off compared to the chrome brightware as they were NOT plated.

The grip itself is nicely defined, as per Boker, filling the hand and having well defined lines that are typical of the maker. I like it personally, but wait for others to comment.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Looks fine to me. Darkened eagle is just normal patina and many chained daggers did not have the distribution marks on the guards. The only bit I don't like on this one are the heavy scabbard runner wear lines to the blade, but this is normal, of course, if this blade has been taken out frequently. Grip wood is in good shape and the blade looks like it's never been polished. No big problems with this one, that I can see.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

There are some small details with this dagger that would make me hesitant even before I got to the larger issues. The crossguards to me look like they are most likely nickel plated zinc - with some evidence of corrosion/pitting at the juncture of the crossguards and the wood which you should not see with a nickel silver base. Portions of the links also seem a 'tad' off. Not a lot, and I really need to check my reference examples on my primary computer and elsewhere. But I'm more sure with the off center aspect of the center lines on the connector links. With the overall 'patination' for the lack of a better term indicating dissimilar metals and finishes. So for myself, I would want to see some better/closer up pictures preferably in sunlight as the dagger is looked at in more detail. FP

It is an oddity about the lower crossguard not being district stamped as this SS mann elected to take his SSem and save himself a few Reich Marks and just buy the scabbard and chain. Usually everything that comes from the SS before the RZM got their sticky hands on everything went through 3 central SS districts ( see the link on SS districts on top of forum) All early SS daggers were marked with 3 Roman numerals. Is it possible to show another photo of the front of the blade that looks like the photo of the reverse side of the blade? I am seeing 2 different crossgraining patterns,, and i know it could be caused by the photos themselves,, but just want to be sure. Larry

?

the chained dagger i had did not have a maker stamp?

Quote by colt45 View Post
    the chained dagger i had did not have a maker stamp?
    not all of them were marked

Chained 1936 pattern daggers were made without makers marks on the blade. HOWEVER, it was an option for Officers and early SS members who qualified to wear the dagger, to simply purchase a chained scabbard alone and marry this up with their 1933 pattern SS dagger.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hi all! Sorry I've been MIA for a while. Doesn't seem to be enough time in the day these days.

Thanks for all of the great feedback! I'm still working with the seller in hopes of grabbing this piece, but he's fallen off the face of the Earth, which does sometimes happen. Chances are he sold it to a neighbor for $100, which also seems to happen more often than not when something good comes along