Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Nice looking Herder SS, opinions please

Article about: Hello fellow collectors ! This little killer has come up for sale and I am interested. But knowing SS daggers is a real minefield, I would be very thankfull if you would give your comments o

?

Default Nice looking Herder SS, opinions please

Hello fellow collectors !

This little killer has come up for sale and I am interested. But knowing SS daggers is a real minefield, I would be very thankfull if you would give your comments on this piece.

I see an honest piece, here is my 2 cent: etching is the special Herder style. Difficult to copy imho, also the fits are as they should be. Not to much wear, wear is balanced and what you would expect. Dagger has been opened sometime in the past, but marks are not too present at the pommel. Fittings has unfortunately been buffed and has no original patina at all, not the beautifull dull apperance you see on untouched timetravellers.

Best DobsonNice looking Herder SS, opinions pleaseNice looking Herder SS, opinions pleaseNice looking Herder SS, opinions pleaseNice looking Herder SS, opinions please
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nice looking Herder SS, opinions please   Nice looking Herder SS, opinions please  

Nice looking Herder SS, opinions please   Nice looking Herder SS, opinions please  

Nice looking Herder SS, opinions please  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nice looking Herder SS, opinions please
    P
    Many

In my opinion it's original in perfectly acceptable condition. PY.

I like it and see no striking issues
    Other than a lower ball hit which is normal.
    Nice example

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi. If any are interested, this dagger sold for 6860 Eur. incl salary.

Thanks again for your help on authentication.

Best Dobson

A bit steep in price...but its the sign of the times and will reach near the same price of a Chained SS dagger once those climb up in value themselves.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Pretty steep, yes ! My limit was 6615 Eur. and two more bidders where over this.

I think its going crazy, perhaps its the inflation going on right now.

Best Dobson

More like Greed than inflation. Herder SS daggers let alone some common SA daggers are not considered a rarity due to the amount produced and those that remain in collections today are still alot.

The test is those opportunists placing these high price tags to those who " Just gotta have it " ..will pay for it.
    If this is the sign of the times....What was once sold between 4K and 5K Standard SS em daggers...the pace has been set now ..which such insane pricing over 7K for the same dagger.

The line now is drawn deciding between who can afford it and who has to sustain their family during these inflationary times.

Regards Larry

?

You are right Larry.
    I could pay this price, but I am stunned over this level now, and wont pay for it !
    Started collecting SAs 12 years ago. A 2+ was around 400-500 eur, now its 1300-1600 eur…..
    Belive I will not be that active for some time now.
    Best
    Dobson

"Honest" in some other TR collecting areas often refers to original intact patination that can be hard if not impossible to replicate. Over the years what I have seen with some "tarted up" examples is parts swapping and other tricks to increase the value that would lead me to pay less not more and even cause me to reject something that I had doubts about. Just another perspective. Best Regards, Fred

?

I understand what you mean frogprince. And its the pieces Im going after…. been there, seen it all, has the true history, no swapped fittings and shouepolish on grip etc ! I hate to admit, I did not go the full tour on this gem.
    Best
    Dobson