Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A number on scabbard fitting

Article about: Hello collectors. I recently bought this dagger and decided to wipe off some of the green gue, growing from the upper metal fitting against the leather hanger, so it would not harm or discol

?

Default A number on scabbard fitting

Hello collectors.

I recently bought this dagger and decided to wipe off some of the green gue, growing from the upper metal fitting against the leather hanger, so it would not harm or discolour scabbard and leather or blade. Normally NOT something I would do, and I guess it will probably grow back again over time.

I found this number hidden on the backside of scabbard upper metal fitting you see on one of the photos. Could be a member number, but dagger has no numbers on the crossguards. I belive it says 16 38 11.
    Just an interesting thing I wanted to share, I know it doesent have to mean anything, because stampings could have been done postwar.

The leather hanger also has stampings, but its very hard to see what it says because its worn and only stamped lightly. Perhaps 48/3? RZM

PS. Sorry for the pictures, I think its really difficult to make good pictures, pictures of scabbard with hanger is after wiping off most of the green stuff.

Best

A number on scabbard fittingA number on scabbard fittingA number on scabbard fittingA number on scabbard fittingA number on scabbard fittingA number on scabbard fitting

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A number on scabbard fitting
    P
    Many

Nice looking Boker!

I would encourage you and anyone else to absolutely remove the green verdigris off of the dagger, as it will pit the nickel. The discoloration you see on the upper scabbard fitting is the result. You cannot clean that discoloration off and it would have become worse over time. My recommendation is if you are going to store the dagger with the hanger on, periodically inspect it for the appearance of the verdigis. Wipe off as much as you can from the leather. The verdigris is a chemical reaction of the copper content of the nickel to the tannins in the leather.

The stamped number on the scabbard fitting is the SS Mann's number, and may be researchable. I do not have a copy of the Key, so I cannot tell you if he was an officer. Even if the SS Mann was an NCO, the number may still be reseachable.

The stamped number on the hanger is most likely SS 48/34 RZM. Some of it may have worn off as these were very lightly stamped.

?

Hello Skyline, and thanks for reply, very informative !

You are right, that green stuff has clearly discolured both lower fitting plus upper scabbard fitting. I will indled follow your advise and store the hanger seperately, not on the scabbard.

Best

I checked the number both ways that it may appear

163811 and 168811 ...neither appear in an SS Dienstalterliste as the list is not complete or this guy was not an officer.

The dagger no doubt as Mr. Skyline stated is authentic

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hello Larry, thanks for your reply, also very informative !

I will take that number as a little bonus to the dagger then :-)

By the way, the upper crossguard has at one point turned slightly and perhaps caused some lifting to the wood on the other side, and distubing the fine line between crossguard and upper fitting so it appears a little off. The only way to correct this is to untighten top nut. Recommendation, go or no go ?

Best

A number on scabbard fitting
    Last edited by dobson; 03-17-2024 at 06:30 PM.

Hi Dobson...if the tang nut is loose enough to untighten it with your thumb and finger yes...go ahead and reset it.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Its tight, I will leave it as it is

Best

?

Nice looking Boker.

?

Great looking Böker, the grip says... i'm a Böker, i'm the Rolls Royce of the SS daggers

Ger

?

Hello.
    I think this is a dagger from the last Ratisbon auction.
    I would also be curious to see the internal markings, but above the rune button there is a lift or break in the grip, you also notice another violation of the integrity of the grip so be very careful. A piece of grip may break off. I also bought a similar Boker that I have shown in the forum and there we have discussed the markings of the hangers. You can see. Early SS Boker Dagger
    The marking on the top fitting should be an SS member number, but many of the numbers on these daggers are not identifiable.
    Regards Georgi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast