Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Rare SS Pack Prototype Dagger

Article about: My great grandfather, brought this dagger back from Germany in 1945. I do not collect this material, however some initial searches on the internet led me to a couple of dealers of German dag

Great thread.
    I don't have a dog in this fight but I would like to say that
    this is a very interesting discussion and I commend all of you for keeping it on point
    and civil.

Personally, I hope it turns out to be a good piece.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare SS Pack Prototype Dagger
    P
    Many

?

Holy Balls, what an incredibly rare prototype edged weapon !

?

Quote by JRMeda View Post
    Holy Balls, what an incredibly rare prototype edged weapon !
    Dear JR. What you think about eagle? Dagger looks good, but eagle very strange for me. It looks like homemade. As I understood, you had a similar dagger in your hands. Maybe you tell us more about this amazing piece.

This is not a branch of edged weapons that I follow, but I get the idea that the unusual types shouldn't be out of hand rejected. However it does surprise me at the speed of some collectors to embrace this example as genuine. I float the simple question "how difficult would it be to fake this?" If the answer to that question is "not very difficult at all", then what is the basis of the excited praise?. If the OP had begun his introduction by announcing "I bought this at a car boot sale in Poland last year", how many would be swooning now? So if the provenance is not as sound as claimed, how many would have second thoughts?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    This is not a branch of edged weapons that I follow, but I get the idea that the unusual types shouldn't be out of hand rejected. However it does surprise me at the speed of some collectors to embrace this example as genuine. I float the simple question "how difficult would it be to fake this?" If the answer to that question is "not very difficult at all", then what is the basis of the excited praise?. If the OP had begun his introduction by announcing "I bought this at a car boot sale in Poland last year", how many would be swooning now? So if the provenance is not as sound as claimed, how many would have second thoughts?
    I understand and agree with the premise that the unusual should not be dismissed out of hand, and that is where the search for truth/credibility begins. Elsewhere it seems that the dagger in question is taking some "knocks". Not that I'm criticizing them because to me they appear to have some merit that has not been responded to. So I guess that we shall have to wait and see where the pendulum goes. Best Regards, Fred

?

Maybe it's just me, but I want to see a black grip on a SS dagger, just for starters.

Quote by wagner View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I want to see a black grip on a SS dagger, just for starters.
    An excellent point & one that confounds me as well.

I’m the same as Wagner .... SS is Black, I do understand that the Black dying process varied from time to time, and some grips appeared to be a shade lighter. I’ve seen Boker grips that have a very light appearance.
    The dagger in question looks like it was black but the dye has been removed/ rubbed off.

?

Quote by KRISSE View Post
    As these were very early so called 'prototypes', they could have used different types of eagles imo. They always improved. Maybe the type you post came after the type that started the topic. For sure we know the well known eagle type that came later...
    Always innovating...
    Don't think textbook with this kind of daggers.

Well here are my 2 cents.
    With lets say a very small badge there will be no room for more then 1 eagle design, as the casting mould would be very expensive, and when you have a badge of lets think big, 50 piece you would buy 1 small box, as thats the way they were bought, in boxes of 50 or 100 ( i have seen 2 carton boxes both contained 100 pieces.

The blade is not convincing in any way, not a single trace of crossgrain, VERY straigh laser motto ( after etched? doesnt even looks like it.)
    The dyed grips hold their paint way better then this one has, as the rest should have the same wear too, if the grip would lost it all, but that isnt the fact.
    All these newly found woodwork ones come with this type of wear on the blade.
    I have owned hundreds of SA daggers and quite a couple of SS, but finding blades that have no traces of Original crossgrain? well thats a hard one.
    Some may praise these "NEW FINDS" without any provenance, and with gripeagles and blades like this one I'm not convinced, my gutfeeling and experience leads me to this conclusion:
    To me just the next east block copy, and yes, ofcourse its a bring back AFTER the war...….to each their own, and perhaps i might be wrong in my opinion.
    But its not one for me.

Regards
    Ger

Well said Ger !

Its easy to piece together daggers from the top 2 producers of their time of many of the same parts and this one is no different IMO.
    I find it baseless that just because the details are consistent with being a Pack dagger makes this acceptable to the collecting community. This is a blind alley and alludes to nothing.

Take many brand name cars having parts internally made from other countries...sure it looks like the emblem on the car..but is it a whole consistent vehicle? NO
    Either the poster and those who are personally involved in protecting this dagger put up what has been asked for in realism or shut up and stop wasting the forums time.

The admittance that the dagger has never been opened is proof by the posted photo here and on the WAF that this is a farce. If it had been one persons hand ( The Vet ) all this time then the patina would have been undisturbed totally and throughout the dagger. Even so a post war parted dagger lay untouched in its climate conditions would still produce thew same colored patina where ever it was found.

@Rohm Dagger...this is as far as your thread will go and so sorry ..that no further help can be extended to you. If there is nothing else that can be constructively contributed other than just basic knowledge of the production and assembly of SA and SS daggers craft ..and mere words just saying its good..which doesnt support anything...I will close this thread.

There is nothing more to support here and would encourage those readers to follow the ongoing thread on the WAF.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast