MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

RZM SS Dagger Robert Klaas

Article about: Folks, I have been planning to add an SS dagger to my collection for some time and unfortunately, they’re not getting any cheaper. Any SA / NSKK daggers I own or have owned in the past hav

?

Default RZM SS Dagger Robert Klaas

Folks,
    I have been planning to add an SS dagger to my collection for some time and unfortunately, they’re not getting any cheaper. Any SA / NSKK daggers I own or have owned in the past have all been early and I’m a bit out of my depth with this late SS. I really don’t want to rush into anything due to the price of these items and I’ve never owned an SS dagger. I have looked quite closely at this one and have noticed a few anomalies between this one and other later daggers bearing the same RZM code. I obviously don’t want to end up with an Atwood fake or worse but if this one stands a chance, I may well try and pick it up. I’m not sure if it’s the photographs (I don’t have it in hand) but these are my observations. The RZM etch looks almost printed and doesn’t look right. The Grip handle looks too long. The circles on the Roundel look thinner and a number of the letters on the motto look thinner or are formed differently. I know I have probably answered my own question with my observations but I’m just wondering if this could be a known original variant and might be worth a punt. I know these things are heavily faked and it’s not in anyone’s interest to educate the fakers so I won’t be offended with a simple thumbs down if it’s junk.
    Cheers
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RZM SS Dagger Robert Klaas   RZM SS Dagger Robert Klaas  

RZM SS Dagger Robert Klaas   RZM SS Dagger Robert Klaas  

RZM SS Dagger Robert Klaas   RZM SS Dagger Robert Klaas  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RZM SS Dagger Robert Klaas
    P
    Many

Robert Klass used long thin grips which this appears to be an early type.
    Someone did some paint touch ups on the grip.

I dont see any issues with the blade or the RZM logo but those guards are not what is common on a mid to late Klaas type.
    Mid to late guards will have less hallow accent grooving on the guards and the dagger you posted have them deep. Im curious of any internal markings.

The runes button youare correct about is nota Klass type which would show no border touching.
    The runes button above is a common type used by a few other SS producers.

This is one of these daggers that looks nice ...but gut feeling tells me to walk away.
    More thoughts and observations welcome.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Larry,
    Thanks for your time and your observations and I appreciate you passing on your knowledge. After looking at this one until I was almost cross eyed, I decided (about an hour ago) to give this one a wide berth and put a little more money into an early “Pack” ground Rohm that I also had my eye on. It shows more wear but I know I’ll be happier with it. It appeared on the E Stand on the Wehrmacht awards forum but was sold to a dealer who has proved very reliable in the past. I’ll post some images when it arrives.
    Thanks again
    Andy