Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

RZM SS review sought

Article about: Hi I'm interested in your feedback on this dagger. Particular I note that the scabbard paint doesn't go all the way to the nickel plated fittings and there's another black paint underneath w

Default RZM SS review sought

Hi I'm interested in your feedback on this dagger.
    Particular I note that the scabbard paint doesn't go all the way to the nickel plated fittings and there's another black paint underneath which seems to go underneath so I'm wondering if it has been repainted?

Also does anyone know how to trace the details of the SS number inside the hanger?
    Thank you so much for your help and advice.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RZM SS review sought   RZM SS review sought  

RZM SS review sought   RZM SS review sought  

RZM SS review sought  
    Last edited by Gatoblanconz; 11-25-2021 at 01:41 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RZM SS review sought
    P
    Many

A couple more photos. Thanks for your help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RZM SS review sought   RZM SS review sought  

Hi Gato...glad you made it here

I do not see any glaring issues in authenticity..looks good...but I do agree with your observations ..that the scabbard has been repainted.

My eyes can not decipher the numbers ..and if you could post them on this thread..someone or myself can look up that number to see who it belonged to.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

One characteristic of 3rd Reich edged weapon that I study and examine constantly, is paint. Because the subject is so subjective in regards to scabbards belonging to daggers, swords, bayonets, fighting knives and more. From the photos provided, I honestly like the paint on this one.

So what is your explanation for it clearly being painted after the fittings were put on?
    There is a clear distinct line on both sides and on top and bottom fittings where the paint stays about 1 to 2 mm away from the fittings in a smooth edge. It is not a dust and grime buildup because it is such a distinct contrasting line and you can also see at least one brush stroke in that 'gap'.
    At no part at all does the top layer of paint ever go up to the fitting
    It's pretty obvious to me that this has been done after the fittings have been applied. Why is that?

?

On many occasions, that is 85 years of grime build up. That's what it looks like to me. But it's your dagger, and you have to be satisfied with your evaluation, not mine.

Many scabbards were repainted during ww2 period.

There is website where they have archives of numbered SS personel. ss-numbers.com
    I dont have any numbered dagger so I didnt try them yet but if you want you can contact them and try to find out if it was number of some SS guy or not.

Grime build up that forms a consistent line with such a smooth edge?
    Not just regular in shape but also distinct linear contrast between the two colours?
    Plus at no point at any of the interface between the fittings and the scabbard does the dark paint reach the fittings. It always stays more or less that same distance away.
    And there is no grime visible apart from some very small amounts touched right under the fittings it's not grime extending a couple of millimetres away from the fittings. Has no three dimensionality to it.

?

Just trying to help, and must admit............................ always willing to listen to another with more experience, as well as other ideas.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RZM SS review sought  

It would seem to me the test would be if I can remove a very small amount of the lighter line. Ie even old gunk should move easier than paint.
    A Qtip and saliva on a very very small area? Would that be a reasonable test?

Wow very very impressive and beautiful collection @JRMeda

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast