Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS 1939 rat tail dagger

Article about: Amazing what still turns up here in Denmark - a completely un-messed SS Eickhorn 1939 rat tail dagger, I had to pay the price EUR 3.000. Not really an investment, just pure joy.

?

Default SS 1939 rat tail dagger

Amazing what still turns up here in Denmark - a completely un-messed SS Eickhorn 1939 rat tail dagger, I had to pay the price EUR 3.000. Not really an investment, just pure joy.

SS 1939 rat tail dagger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS 1939 rat tail dagger   SS 1939 rat tail dagger  

SS 1939 rat tail dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS 1939 rat tail dagger
    P
    Many

?

You did very well. Very nice dagger congrats.

Tim

What I keep asking myself is why do some owners of such daggers keep disassembling them????
    The head screw may be scratched, and the grip wood may tear or even break off a piece when the tension is removed.
    Always absolutely incomprehensible to me, sry. ...

Quote by Putzi View Post
    Amazing what still turns up here in Denmark - a completely un-messed SS Eickhorn 1939 ...
    Until it was "disassembled"...

Although this dagger is correct in the details of the materials used of that production period ....I would agree as well that a trained eye would NOT have to take apart a dagger.
    Yet sometimes even the trained eye sees something amiss ..that just doesnt appear quite right ..may want to take a peek inside.
    If a dagger has evidence of a prior opening...than I would agree its easy to open it up.

We dont know the condition of the top guard if it has swirl marks from the tang nut or not. Putzi has not shown the top guard in his photos.
    Also ..in the realm of Mid to later period SS daggers mainly ( since SS daggers due to the entity of being SS ) have been highly faked and refitted postwar ...which makes it more of a challenge to identify if its unmessed with.

Sometimes there is a fine line that has to be crossed when thousands of dollars are at stake than its late period SA production period counterpart.

So we do not know the full story to pass judgement if this dagger was opened prior..and only Putzi can explain further those details I stated above if it may have been opened prior...and also ..any history where this dagger came from before landing in his hands.

This dagger above without seeing it opened appears correct and I would fear more opening an unmessed with Early SS or SA dagger because of the concerns you pointed out about damage to the wood from releasing the tension which may crack the wood in an unstable environment.
    There is a huge difference in material usage from the early to late periods and I would worry less about the later period more so than the early period examples.

So Im with you Riebert in your concerns and agree ...yet we dont know the full story yet where this dagger came from and who had it before member Putzi.

Since it has been opened..I would like to see the tang clearance wholes on both ends of the grip and the a photo of the top guard.

So...with that ....and without seeing it opened ...I have concerns that the grip does not belong to this dagger due to the newer condition of the grip compared to both crossguards having gounge like marks that meet with the grip..which the grip does not have any spill over from the gouge marks from the crossguards. ....its why now...opening a dagger is necessary to see if the tang holes were messed with...or even not messed with ..but visually obvious..it appears so.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Being somewhat ignorant of dagger terminology, what on earth is a 'rat tail' dagger?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

It can be opened simply using a finger on the top screw and it's not rusty or tight .. what exactly do you want to see (please show an example)? Found here in Denmark. I'm NOT a trained eye.

Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

It appears it has a makers mark on the top screw.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS 1939 rat tail dagger   SS 1939 rat tail dagger  

SS 1939 rat tail dagger  

?

Rat tail describes what the eickhorn makers mark looka like for this1939 dagger. That is my understanding

Tim

?

Best picture I could manage ...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS 1939 rat tail dagger  

Is the SS-Obersturmführer, (Hauptsturmführer ?), "Kiss" Schalburg ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast