Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

SS Chained dagger type C from M-R u. A

Article about: Hello, can you write me your knowledge about this dagger? Thank you.

Default SS Chained dagger type C from M-R u. A

Hello, can you write me your knowledge about this dagger? Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Chained dagger type C from M-R u. A
    P
    Many

Quote by KurtSteiner1974 View Post
    Hello, can you write me your knowledge about this dagger? Thank you.
    This one has "problems". 1) Nickel plating (as seen for example with the chains) does not have a brown or brownish tarnishing. 2) Pictured are some things that will not help if it ever is put up for sale or traded (IMO). Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Chained dagger type C from M-R u. A   SS Chained dagger type C from M-R u. A  

Quite a variation in patina and condition of the component parts, what might that mean?

Did you ever get that " hair standing up on the back of your neck " feeling that you went into the wrong neighborhood and was best to quickly leave without thinking twice about staying?

The other Type C. CH SS you posted earlier I would give more credibility to...which showed more appeal in the expected details but left me to keep moving.

As Fred stated prior in that thread its a used car lot and there is not much choice in deciding the lesser of the worst ones.
    Only 10% of unmessed with daggers I see at shows are few and far between....and is why it takes longer to eventually capture one at the expense of standing and walking endless circles on a concrete floor.

Whats that mean? ...when you see enough of the junk ( and study them ) thats on those tables compared to the unmessed ones...the hair on the back of your neck tells you.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Did you ever get that " hair standing up on the back of your neck " feeling that you went into the wrong neighborhood and was best to quickly leave without thinking twice about staying?

The other Type C. CH SS you posted earlier I would give more credibility to...which showed more appeal in the expected details but left me to keep moving.

As Fred stated prior in that thread its a used car lot and there is not much choice in deciding the lesser of the worst ones.
    Only 10% of unmessed with daggers I see at shows are few and far between....and is why it takes longer to eventually capture one at the expense of standing and walking endless circles on a concrete floor.

Whats that mean? ...when you see enough of the junk ( and study them ) thats on those tables compared to the unmessed ones...the hair on the back of your neck tells you.
    With collecting Golden Age comics like I also do, there's a saying; "Low grade is better than no grade".

Do you think, based on relative scarcity, that if a chained dagger comes along at a decent price (such as the one I made a post on a bit back that the advice was generally don't get it possibly pending better photos), it's better to get a filler dagger or wait to see if another one in similar price range comes along as a starter?

Quote by DavidRF43 View Post
    With collecting Golden Age comics like I also do, there's a saying; "Low grade is better than no grade".

Do you think, based on relative scarcity, that if a chained dagger comes along at a decent price (such as the one I made a post on a bit back that the advice was generally don't get it possibly pending better photos), it's better to get a filler dagger or wait to see if another one in similar price range comes along as a starter?
    Full disclosure: Originally a German pistol collector, at one time I wanted one of everything with condition not that important. As I spent time with others more advanced than myself condition became more important. One of the things they pointed out was that the low quality items seldom sold and kept returning show after show. When discussed with a charter member and former speaker at the MAX friend of mine he said for the long term “CONDITION” was his goal because when it came time to sell or trade and price was the only thing to argue about - that was the best place to be. Of course I also know that now there are a lot of collecting “Deserts” out there, with my personal strategy being to diversify my interests. And to sharpen my skills - because I was told when I first started collecting that SS items were absolutely the worst when it come to outright fakes and altered items (and almost nothing has changed since then). As a beginner I made some bad purchases that when I got them home it could have ended my collecting career. Fortunately in my case the unknowing (but honest) seller allowed me to trade for some different perfectly good blades that I still have. Best Regards, Fred

PS: If it's the history makers that are the main interest, then I think these might also be some areas of interest. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Chained dagger type C from M-R u. A  

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Full disclosure: Originally a German pistol collector, at one time I wanted one of everything with condition not that important. As I spent time with others more advanced than myself condition became more important. One of the things they pointed out was that the low quality items seldom sold and kept returning show after show. When discussed with a charter member and former speaker at the MAX friend of mine he said for the long term “CONDITION” was his goal because when it came time to sell or trade and price was the only thing to argue about - that was the best place to be. Of course I also know that now there are a lot of collecting “Deserts” out there, with my personal strategy being to diversify my interests. And to sharpen my skills - because I was told when I first started collecting that SS items were absolutely the worst when it come to outright fakes and altered items (and almost nothing has changed since then). As a beginner I made some bad purchases that when I got them home it could have ended my collecting career. Fortunately in my case the unknowing (but honest) seller allowed me to trade for some different perfectly good blades that I still have. Best Regards, Fred
    Oh, I absolutely agree that having a higher grade is more desirable, but in some instances where something isn't really feasible due to scarcity or price or a combination of both, would you rather have a low quality item if you intended to keep but not necessarily sell or a high quality item that would be easier to sell but would similarly command a higher price point that may be difficult or impossible to find?

?

I have found that whenever I have picked up a lower condition piece I was not happy with it later. Then when I tried to sell it became difficult.

For me I really try to keep all of my collection 100 percent as issued original and in the best condition I can. Chained ss daggers are extremely hard to find a great one and expensive, but I love the hunt. There is nothing like the feeling when you aquire a long sought after item. It's pure bliz. That's why I collect the history and that wonderful feeling when you find something truly historic.

Tim