Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'SS' dagger - authentication help

Article about: Dear all I am assuming this dagger is no Bueno, based on previous threads ... but I would be most grateful for confirmation either way and what specifically to look for about it that might b

Default 'SS' dagger - authentication help

Dear all

I am assuming this dagger is no Bueno, based on previous threads ... but I would be most grateful for confirmation either way and what specifically to look for about it that might be wrong, given that I have a completely unpractised eye for these types of daggers. Many thanks in anticipation.

'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'SS' dagger - authentication help
    P
    Many

Hi Caroline...the dagger itself appears to be ok ...the tang nut was added post war or recently.

The chain is repro and the link connectors also added.
    Check out this pinned thread on the 4 chain types. > Chained SS Study of the 4 Chain types

The dagger has been opened many times and who knows for what reasons that we can not see.

This is not an example for myself I would add on to my collection.
    With Chained SS daggers ...if there is one detail that is not period consistent ...it throws the untouched virginity of it out the window.

The chain and tang nut does it for me and would put it back down ont he table where I found it.
    Sorry for the bad news

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Caroline...the dagger itself appears to be ok ...the tang nut was added post war or recently.

The chain is repro and the link connectors also added.
    Check out this pinned thread on the 4 chain types. > Chained SS Study of the 4 Chain types

The dagger has been opened many times and who knows for what reasons that we can not see.

This is not an example for myself I would add on to my collection.
    With Chained SS daggers ...if there is one detail that is not period consistent ...it throws the untouched virginity of it out the window.

The chain and tang nut does it for me and would put it back down ont he table where I found it.
    Sorry for the bad news

Regards Larry
    Dear Larry

Many thanks for kindly taking the time to look at this one. It was indeed that thread RE: the chain types that made me think it was not a good one, but I struggled with the dagger itself. Forgive my ignorance, but when you say the link connectors do you mean the part that attaches the chain to the actual scabbard? Also, would you say the scabbard and its metal mounts are OK, or could it be possible that someone has tried to dress up an EM dagger and make it a Leader's one? I'm wondering whether it might be better to just take the chain off and accept that it has a dodgy tang nut!

It boggles the mind what people do, change or fake on items like this sometimes - your help in navigating this minefield is most appreciated.

Hi Caroline...yes those connectors are those that connect the skull and runes tabs. I believe they may be period ,,,but not actually belonging to the Chain itself.

I have a request ...could you post clearer photos of all 3 Skull tabs? Im seeing something different and I do not want to give you the wrong information.
    The tabs may be appearing to be a B2 type...but clearer photos please.

The center ramp is a Type C ..so already Im leaning on this being a period parts ensemble.

And yes.....deception is very marketable with alot of people trying to steal money by corrupting these artifacts.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Agreeing with Larry, especially in earlier times at the larger shows I would often see dealers (and no doubt some collectors) circulating with batches of parts and unlovable daggers that were often picked up either before the public was let in, or after a show was over. Some of them had "back rooms" that were like small factories, and they were others at shows who had parts laid out in front of them playing "mix and match". Regrettably - the dagger posted here looks like it could have from of of those "back room factories". Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'SS' dagger - authentication help  

Upon reflection I think that a larger image could also help. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 'SS' dagger - authentication help  

Hi all, here are some better images all three skulls on the chain. Further commentary is appreciated.

'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help'SS' dagger - authentication help

?

The dagger is of the 3rd Reich period, and so are all of the components as shown. Even the steel pommel nut used for this timeframe of production.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Caroline...yes those connectors are those that connect the skull and runes tabs. I believe they may be period ,,,but not actually belonging to the Chain itself.

I have a request ...could you post clearer photos of all 3 Skull tabs? Im seeing something different and I do not want to give you the wrong information.
    The tabs may be appearing to be a B2 type...but clearer photos please.

The center ramp is a Type C ..so already Im leaning on this being a period parts ensemble.

And yes.....deception is very marketable with alot of people trying to steal money by corrupting these artifacts.

Regards Larry
    Would you kindly have any photos of what type of skulls would be expected on the chain to accompany a Type C centre ramp? I am a little bit stuck on this one.

Quote by JRMeda View Post
    The dagger is of the 3rd Reich period, and so are all of the components as shown. Even the steel pommel nut used for this timeframe of production.
    I am intrigued by what you say. Do you have any photos of any comparable examples or anything I can use as a reference point?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast