Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

SS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for help

Article about: Hi guys, I would like to ask you for help with this early SS dagger if it is good piece or put together dagger. Any opinion is more than welcome. Mike

?

Default SS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for help

Hi guys,
    I would like to ask you for help with this early SS dagger if it is good piece or put together dagger. Any opinion is more than welcome.
    Mike

SS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for helpSS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for helpSS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for helpSS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for helpSS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for helpSS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for helpSS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for help
    Attached Images Attached Images SS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for help 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dagger Gottlieb Hammesfahr - ask for help
    P
    Many

No blade expert by any stretch. But it looks to have extensive work done to it. IMO the grip eagle looks to have been replaced and surely the handle has been repainted. In any event it was obviously taken apart for whatever reason and reassembled incorrectly. I d be extremely cautious with this one. I'm certain the bladesmen will expand further. Best regards.

Brian

I believe that is an SA dagger guard installed backwards.
    I would be very leery of this one.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I have the impression that it s a laser etch...

All correct replies Mike1 ...stay far away from this dagger..as it has been assembled from varied fittings.

The grip mainly tells a the story of the opposite of what an early crafted SS grip should appear
    The scabbard is either late period or repro.
    Crossguards are SA as Ralph has pointed out..Im curious of the internal markings.
    The tang nut is a replacement but may be mid to late period.
    I have suspicions also about the blade..yet it appears authentic...close up photos of the side of the tang and markings on the tang itself...also of the motto and logo.

As I have always said with these SS daggers as they are very desirable among collectors...all it takes is " ONE " detail to walk away from especially Early type SS daggers. One detail that removes it from the untouched category.

Save your Money Mike ...seek our forum sponsor first Lakesidetrader | German WWII Daggers & Medals

Wittmann Antique Militaria

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

All has been said. Very very bad bad bad dagger. Trow it away.
    I'll use the pictures for my 'fake SS dagger database'.

?

Hi guys,
    thank you for help, and for sure I will run away from this dagger.
    Mike

?

Good morning everybody, I may have to open a new topic for this but... two of you mention here that the crossguards are from an SA dagger....

How can you differentiate SA crossguards from SS's?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!!!

Kind regards,

Marc

Hi Marc..with this SS dagger posted above in the first post that is supposed to represent an Early Hammesfahr SS ..the lower crossguard would be marked with 1 of 3 Roman numeral district designations > Munich I ,.. Dresden II .... Berlin III . These are points of dagger distribution and do not represent SS groups or Standartes.

SS 1933 pattern Dienstdolch distribution markings & Early producers

The early SA guards will be marked with a 2 letter designation of the region in which the SA controlled in Germany ..these markings are called SA Gruppe marks in collectors circles. Example : " Nrh " Niederhein .." Th" Thuringia .. " Wf " Westfalia etc also seen below and also within the SA section of the dagger forum is this Massive and complete list to date of all the early SA dagger producers and all SA gruppe marks that have been stamped upon arrival to that SA region.

SA Gruppe marks known to Dagger Producers and Manufacturers

I would encourage you to give a read through the many threads that are available here that can answer many questions..you may have.

The crossguards on both SA and SS daggers had a nickel alloy mixed into their base metal..giving it a heavier feel in hand and also the guards would never depreciate over time...but only to develop a fine patina unlike the later period fittings that were plated and would chip off.

Your question of opening a new topic ..can remain here in this thread as it does relate to this thread and the guards in question.

There is much to absorb in these threads and also throughout the whole website in ANYTHING you may have a question about. The WRF is exhaustive in content..and gauranteed you will get a reliable answer . Give a read through some of the threads I would encourage it

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 11-05-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks very very much for the explanation and for your time!!!!

Of course I'll read all your recommendations here.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Marc