Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS dagger opinion - Early Boker

Article about: Hello ladies and gents, A good friend who likes to visit swap meets and antique auctions just picked this dagger up locally. Third Reich daggers are not an area of knowledge for me other tha

Default SS dagger opinion - Early Boker

Hello ladies and gents,

Another one of the endless threads asking for comments about an SS dagger. A good friend who likes to visit swap meets and antique auctions just picked this dagger up locally. Third Reich daggers are not an area of knowledge for me other than some rudimentary basics, so all I could really offer were a few comments including that the grip seems to fit well to the cross guard.

Sorry, I know picture quality is crucial, but these are the only available ones. Are they sufficiently clear to arrive at any conclusions?

Many thanks in advance,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS dagger opinion - Early Boker   SS dagger opinion - Early Boker  

SS dagger opinion - Early Boker   SS dagger opinion - Early Boker  

SS dagger opinion - Early Boker   SS dagger opinion - Early Boker  

Last edited by Larry C; 07-30-2015 at 10:33 AM.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dagger opinion - Early Boker
    P
    Many

?

First thing I see is, that the dagger is placed wrong in the scabbard.
    I also see a painted scabbard which is seen by RZM daggers. This is a Böker, so early period '33-'35.
    Should be an anodized (blued) scabbard. Maybe period repaint.
    Etching is correct for Böker. Imo a nice dagger but not sure this is the Original scabbard that belongs to the dagger.

But, if your friend has this dagger in his possession, ask him if he would make more and better detailled pictures.
    Always interesting for all of us.

Upon first looks, I am not liking it. The strike of the "1" initially throws off the other known fonts of other strikes on original examples.

?

Quote by octavian View Post
    Upon first looks, I am not liking it. The strike of the "1" initially throws off the other known fonts of other strikes on original examples.
    I don't see any problem with the Roman number 'I'.

Quote by KRISSE View Post
    . . . But, if your friend has this dagger in his possession, ask him if he would make more and better detailled pictures.
    Always interesting for all of us.
    First off, thanks for your comments guys. Unfortunately the dagger no longer in his possession. Shipped off as a gift to his brother (nice gift if it's real!). He is not a member here but is following this thread and commented that the scabbard does appear to have been painted as a chip reveaed a grey or dark blue finish underneath.

Many thanks again,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

HI AJ.. No worries you and many others are welcome here anytime..and post what you wish. I saw those crossguards a mile away ..and immediately thought Boker. The dagger apart from the scabbard....has a rare first type logo. Something the type collector would quickly acquire.
    I cant say much for the scabbard and agree with Krisse observations that there are lighting issues in the photography. Scabbard appears or at least the paint appears as and RZM paint job. The fittings appear early..but all due to the lighting. The Roman Numeral I is correct and is the correct stamping in depth and appearance.

The guy who received this dagger will be extra thrilled if he knew the rarity of this highly desirable producer. I mved this thread to the SS dagger forum. Your welcome anytime here Tony Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello Larry,

Thanks for the warm welcome, and sorry for posting in the wrong forum. Apologies also for the poor quality of the hastily taken cellphone pics as I know how they hinder any verification process. I told my friend to 'hold tight until Larry weighs in - then you'll get the definitive verdict'. You are a scholar and a gentleman, and on behalf of my friend many thanks again to you, KRISSE and Octavian.

Cheers,
    Tony

Personally, I'm not seeing any problems of note on this early Boker. Yes, the anodized sheath has been painted over, but it Looks like an early paint job and is quite likely period. The condition is, actually, excellent and looks relatively untouched. And....it's a Boker! "The one everyone wants!". I'd say that your friend's brother just got one Dandy of a gift!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

To revisit this thread, in an unlikely twist, my friends brother wasn't as enamored with the gift as one might expect, instead questioning the authenticity. So the dagger has found its way back into my friends hands thereby allowing me to take some better pics as requested. So for the record, here they are in groups of nine, starting off with the homemade case that the dagger was purchased in:

(click on pics to magnify)

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS dagger opinion - Early Boker  

Lot 2:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast