Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ss dagger for review

Article about: Hi all can I pls have your views on the authenticity of this SS DAGGER BEFORE I BY as always thanks for your time and views

?

Default Ss dagger for review

Hi all can I pls have your views on the authenticity of this SS DAGGER BEFORE I BY as always thanks for your time and views
    Ss dagger for reviewSs dagger for review
    Ss dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for reviewSs dagger for review

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ss dagger for review
    P
    Many

?

Looks good to me. The number looks pretty good too, with the "I" mark hidden in the "8".

The blade is well worn and has been cleaned and there are a few dot marks on the grip. My only concern is the blade-to-scabbard fit, but that may be photography or the dagger not pushed home properly.

Dave

?

Top nut has been opened many times. I always get leary when i see this. Could be a sign its been messed with
    Blade has been cleaned. Scabbard to lower guard fit is not real tight. Upper and lower guard look to be nickle. As noted a 1 under the 8 so fits an early maker marked dagger. Scabbard looks to have nickle fittings and earlybscrews so that would be correct from what I see.

Wait for Larry as he is really good with these but I think original dagger just not sure if originally together.

Tim

Hi Tim Dave is correct in his observations and is senior to me in knowledge on SS daggers.
    This example I can agree with Dave with is concerns as well as yours.

Its not often we see Bertram Reinh SS daggers but appears early period correct. The grip and guards go together well and shows signs they belong together.
    The blade shows some signs of pitting here and there and has been over cleaned being worn down.
    I see some black paint left in the motto.

I can see Daves concern where the lower guard doesnt meet the upper scabbard fitting that well ...and I believe that the dagger IS pushed in all the way...but still shows some gapping around the left and right side. The scabbard is early period and correct being the anodized type.
    I cant say when the scabbard was added ...but what I can say is that most of the SA and SS collectors have seen this slight gap on their own daggers and who knows when it happened...but is correct.

The tang nut has been opened a few times and I can say its why the blade has been over cleaned and put back together...as the other fittings do not show any over cleaning.
    I would say a worn but honest example.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thanks, Larry,

Yes, been apart many times. To get that amount of rust off the blade, it had to be in a vise to be worked on.

The more I look at it, the more I conclude that the scabbard id 100% OK, but was on another dagger than a Bertram.

Early makers paid a lot of attention to fit and the radius of the lower surface of the lower guard had to match that of the upper surface of the throat piece ... and they were NOT all the same. Look at EP&S for example.

Below is the the only image I have of a sheathed Bertram. Excuse that ancient photo.

Ss dagger for reviewSs dagger for review

?

Red face

And, the double image

?

Thanks for all your help so dagger is good but scabbard might not have started life with this dagger ?

Thanks gary

Hi Gary ..yes ...it appears that way.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi all and thank you for taking the time to help a newbee and sharing your knowledge and time as always it is gratefully appreciated

?

This is not a one looker, and im not so forgiven like some members here.
    IMO not only the scabbard had a switch, this for sure is not one for me, although all parts are original, not all started with this blade.
    I would save my money for an unmessed one.
    just my thoughts....

Ger

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast