Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS dagger (RZM 941/40SS) - opinions needed.

Article about: Hi there, I haven’t been in the market for an SS dagger - the opportunity simply presented itself after some discussion on a militaria facebook group. As a result, I don’t currently have

Default SS dagger (RZM 941/40SS) - opinions needed.

Hi there,

I haven’t been in the market for an SS dagger - the opportunity simply presented itself after some discussion on a militaria facebook group. As a result, I don’t currently have any reference books for SS daggers. I have been collecting SA, so only equipped for that field currently.

SS dagger with RZM code 941/40 - making it an Eickhorn piece. I understand the photos I currently have aren't professional, but this is out of my control.

Stating the obvious now. This piece is salty. The lower section of the reverse grip has been badly damaged. There is also a small crack on the face of the lower section of the grip. That being said, the overall fit of the grip does look rather tight, with only very minor spacing to one side. The condition of the cross guards look consistent in my opinion. The SS button looks correct - but I have not seen many. I am not sure if the grip has been repainted, I would be reluctant to say so. The scabbard is an obvious repaint, I would have expected the same disregard to extend to the painting of the grip. The dagger appears to fit tightly in the scabbard with little to no spacing between the lower cross guard. The blade has been lacquered in grease - making the general condition difficult to determine - but most definitely salty. However, the motto remains rather crisp and dark. My knowledge of these mottos are limited, perhaps an expert will spot something.

Furthermore, the scabbard has seen a ding to its reverse. The end has also seen a knock or two. Fittings of the scabbard look to be consistent in age and condition with the rest of the dagger. Unfortunately, some of the repaint has made its way onto the fittings.

Any and all opinions are welcomed. I’ve tried my very best to compare to similar examples online, but this is proving rather difficult. For some of you, the condition would make this undesirable. I thought, perhaps, this may be a good introductory dagger at a good price for myself. I know RZM SS daggers are the least desirable (and heavily faked) - so feel free to voice your opinion.

Best wishes of health to you all,
    -Scotty.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS dagger (RZM 941/40SS) - opinions needed.   SS dagger (RZM 941/40SS) - opinions needed.  

SS dagger (RZM 941/40SS) - opinions needed.   SS dagger (RZM 941/40SS) - opinions needed.  

SS dagger (RZM 941/40SS) - opinions needed.   SS dagger (RZM 941/40SS) - opinions needed.  

SS dagger (RZM 941/40SS) - opinions needed.  
    Last edited by scotland99; 04-09-2020 at 09:54 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dagger (RZM 941/40SS) - opinions needed.
    P
    Many

Hi Scotty your observations are correct and in my opinion there are better RZM examples to be found in greater condition and reasonable in price.
    The scabbard appears to be a period NSKK dagger repaint from a brown SA dagger.

I do not believe this to be a faked dagger but one that has bee parted together from varied period fittings. Not consistent.
    If you are a patient person ...then I would wait for a better conditioned example to surface which there are plenty of.

If you choose not to wait ..I am hopeful that you can negotiate a fair price.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Scotty your observations are correct and in my opinion there are better RZM examples to be found in greater condition and reasonable in price.
    The scabbard appears to be a period NSKK dagger repaint from a brown SA dagger.

I do not believe this to be a faked dagger but one that has bee parted together from varied period fittings. Not consistent.
    If you are a patient person ...then I would wait for a better conditioned example to surface which there are plenty of.

If you choose not to wait ..I am hopeful that you can negotiate a fair price.

Regards Larry
    Hi there Larry, thanks for giving your perspective on this piece. It was comforting to know that it was at-least genuine. As it is not whole, I will be leaving for now. I would rather wait and spend more on a piece that I could be a little more proud of owning. Back to waiting for the right opportunity...

Best wishes, Scotty.