Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

SS Dagger verification HELP!

Article about: Hi Guys, i need some dagger experts to chime in on this one. I included as many detailed photos as I could, covering the key areas of concern. This is a transitional Eickhorn with the rat ta

Default SS Dagger verification HELP!

Hi Guys,

i need some dagger experts to chime in on this one. I included as many detailed photos as I could, covering the key areas of concern. This is a transitional Eickhorn with the rat tail logo (only produced in 1939 I believe)...and I have some possible issues.

Yes, I know the dagger is sheathed incorrectly...

1. The fit and finish. I understand the wood grip can shrink and produce gaps at the crossguards, but these gaps look a little too much to me. There is fair uniformity to the gaps and this being an RZM model perhaps this is normal?

2. The crossguard cuts. These don't look deep and hand finshed.

3. The hanger is RZM marked M5/71 by oLc? Does this hanger match this dagger?

4. The blade shoulders fit nicely to the crossguard and the crossguard is cut out perfectly to fit the blade.

Anything about this look off or set off warning bells?

SEE THE CUTS, THEY LOOK SHALLOW/INCOMPLETE

Last edited by disastercity; 03-10-2022 at 09:33 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dagger verification HELP!
    P
    Many

See the cuts? They look shallow or incomplete!

Last edited by disastercity; 03-10-2022 at 09:32 PM.

?

It is the Eickhorn "Rat" trademark from 1939 and the parts all look OK to me.

The guards were injection molded and are shallow, which is a characteristic of the process.

Hangers seldom "match" the dagger and that one looks OK from the back.

Dave

?

I would suggest you do some more research on these RZN 941/39 models.
    First you have to look at the fit of the grip, that is pretty off, even for a later RZM one, keep in mind its still an Eickhorn and its a dagger for an elite organisation!
    Then you have to examen the grip, is the shape of it correct for a late 1939 RZM dagger?
    Does it show the characteristic of that typical high ridge contour we see on late RZM daggers?
    Or does it show the soft smoother lines of an early type grip?
    Look at the grooves on the guards, Eickhorn has his own style.....
    I suggest you first do a bit of googling and compare the result with this one.

Cheers
    Ger

The fit is not perfect. Note right shoulder of the blade, it"s not resting on the blade. The grip over hang vs cross guard fit is a wonder, why oversize on the grips side but each end so far away from the cross guards saddle shoulders? This appears to be a parts dagger to my eyes. The cross guards shallow outside notch in 1 area looks like wear and shows minor damage too.

Thanks Gerrit, most upsetting as this was being sold by one of the "respected" dealers in this market.

Larry do you have any input? I did find a couple of grips on late daggers that match this profile, however I am suspicious of the crossguards. Disassembled there are no markings found.

Live and learn I suppose.
    Last edited by disastercity; 03-12-2022 at 01:24 AM.

Im not too thrilled with the grip fit and would expect a better fit for a mid period Eickhorn SS...which I support Riches thoughts ...due to the fact that the grip may not belong......BUT ...grip overhang is common on some producers ...but on very tight well fitted daggers...which I have seen both on SA and SS daggers.

The grip eagle or the area around it has some pick and gouge marks and who knows what has happened there as well.

It would be best as Gerrit has advised to compare with other like examples before purchasing..usig the forums internal search engine as well as the internet. A little homework goes a long way and saves $$$.

For myself and in this day and age ...an SS dagger is a large investment ...and for that money..it has to be as close to correct as possible with some wiggle room for small manufacturing details by the producer and assembly.

I know there are Monday Morning production pieces...but would rather wait for a Wednesday or Thursday Production dagger.
    Just my thoughts.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Maybe the rat tail variant was a limited production run sub-contracted by Eickhorn to a third party for some emergency reason. Perhaps a work stoppage or problem at the factory and a run had to be outsourced until the problem was remedied. The rat tail variant was not produced in large numbers and for a very short time. We will never know.