Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Daggers in FSU Republic Original?

Article about: Not sure of the best way to handle this so I will post a base thread and add the separate pieces for discussion. It will keep me limited to one thread. I do not want to break protocols but f

Default SS Daggers in FSU Republic Original?

Not sure of the best way to handle this so I will post a base thread and add the separate pieces for discussion. It will keep me limited to one thread. I do not want to break protocols but frankly am fascinated with your threads and would like an education. I am in a former Soviet Republic and am a trust but verify guy. I have had six pieces presented to me for consideration. 5 are here and another is an SA dagger that I put in a sperate thread. I am curious to see what your critiques are. I am a novice and the more I read, the less I seem to know. I have made no purchases but would like to start a collection of edged weapons. What are your thoughts?

JP

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Daggers in FSU Republic Original?
    P
    Many

1. The first of several daggers brought to me was this RZ 941/39 Eickhorn Dagger. I am not expert at all but the condition seems poor with cracked/chipped handle, scaring around the eagle, dented and worn scabbard. I’ve not been able to handle the blade or check the tang or inner handle handy-work. Period and originality is unknown. I’d be interested in your assessment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Daggers in FSU Republic Original?   SS Daggers in FSU Republic Original?  

SS Daggers in FSU Republic Original?   SS Daggers in FSU Republic Original?  

2. The second dagger has a Boker mark and seems in fair condition. The wear does not seem unusually high but I am not sure about what appears to be older touchup. Scabbard had some wear. The biggest concern is the gap at blade and guard. Again, no inspection of interior and/or additional marks. Period and originality is unknown. I have zero idea of value. I’d be interested in your assessment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Daggers in FSU Republic Original?   SS Daggers in FSU Republic Original?  

3. For some reason this blade fascinates me. Perhaps it is because blade and scabbard seems used and aged. Cracked handle. Seems off kilter but could be the photo. It is not in the best shape and the marks are hard to read. It seems to be an 1196/38 SS Edward Wusthof Dreizckwerk, Solingen with a Munich distro mark. Again, no inspection of interior and/or additional marks. Period and originality is unknown. I have zero idea of value. I’d be interested in your assessment.

4. This RZ M7/14 1936 is the one my new Russian in the older former Soviet State is most proud of. P.D. Lunschloss Solingen blade with worn III on guard. Does have a strap and appears to be in good shape. Again, no inspection of interior and/or additional marks. Period and originality is unknown. I have zero idea of value. I’d be interested in your assessment.

5. The final SS Dagger is a Herder piece with a Munich distro mark. It is one of two daggers his friend asked him to include in pictures. It is a tough economy and of course his buddy wanted in in case there is a sale to be made. Again, no inspection of interior and/or additional marks. Period and originality is unknown. I have zero idea of value. I’d be interested in your assessment.

Normally I do request to have separate threads for each dagger and I would you encourage you do so in the future. Fortunately I will allow these to stay here for reason being ...all of them have issues and mostly parted together with other fittings.

Right off the Herder logo was recently added.
    The Boker logo is also junk.

A better photo of the Eickhorn code 941/39 SS would be appreciated.

The PD Lunschloss dagger appears good.
    The Eickhorn dagger has an early scabbard.
    All these daggers over all are in not so great condition and have many challenges do to correct use of fittings which appears all of them have the same issues.

Have you tried using the forum search engine to compare with other dagger threads ?
    AGAIN PLEASE ...any future dagger postings MUST be posted separately fortunately these all have the same look of bad condition.

values can be determined comparing to dealer websites what they are selling them for minus their 20% markup. Also considering overall condition of the dagger.
    Im not seeing too much here that is appealing.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks. Interesting overview and I appreciate your time. This is all good stuff. I figure there are a number of opportunities here provided I am around long enough to discover them. I have been scanning threads here and looking at pieces. I just don't want to be rushed into anything as I am always punished for haste. Owning replicas or adhoc assemblies is not my thing. I sort of want what I want and reasonable wear would not deter me if it is an original soldiers piece. I'll keep looking and reading the threads. Thanks so much Larry.

Default Luneschloss Handle and fittings.

Some additional photos of the inside of the Luneschloss dagger.

Everything is authentic in post # 9

The hanger was produced by Assman & Sohn and widely seen on many SA and SS hangers very common.
    The grip is authentic and damaged and could of been assembled on many SS daggers.

The upper guard is seen on 2 SA dagger makers to date :
    Carl Schmidt & Sohn
    Gustav Haker

The lower guard is a widely seen Generic guard produced by the foundry of Piel & Adey

Again a mix of parts and not consistent with this producer.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast