Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Combat damaged M42 SS helmet

Article about: One of my key purchases of 2020. Known this helmet for many many years , admired it often and suddenly it was offered to me. Funny as I was looking hard for a battle damaged example that app

Default Combat damaged M42 SS helmet

One of my key purchases of 2020.
    Known this helmet for many many years , admired it often and suddenly it was offered to me.
    Funny as I was looking hard for a battle damaged example that appealed to me , branch did not matter.
    But I did not expect it would be an SS helmet.

Nobody got killed in it or perhaps even did not wear it , I'm not a bloodflow expert.
    But these damaged helmets do bring the reality of war closer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Combat damaged M42 SS helmet   Combat damaged M42 SS helmet  

Combat damaged M42 SS helmet   Combat damaged M42 SS helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Combat damaged M42 SS helmet
    P
    Many

Great helmet Frank with interesting damage.
    The ET style SS decal is the icing on the cake

nick

Talked about this one recently w David C. We were talking about “the look” as he was commenting on one of mine saying it had it for him. I mentioned this one from you had it for me (posted a ways back) and an M1 helmet w net that he had. You Can’t buy ..... “the look”.... just happens . I like this one no doubt.
    Z

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Talked about this one recently w David C. We were talking about “the look” as he was commenting on one of mine saying it had it for him. I mentioned this one from you had it for me (posted a ways back) and an M1 helmet w net that he had. You Can’t buy ..... “the look”.... just happens . I like this one no doubt.
    Z
    You talk the talk my friend , I know exactly what you mean. Just like your DD KM ;-)

Very interesting helmet Frank. Perhaps more evidence that helmets of the time actually provided very little protection, unless perhaps from heatstroke.

M38
    ?

Great example Frank! Everybody needs at least one battle damaged helmet in their collection. That decal is really nice and especially interesting with the little misapplication on the right side.

Cheers,
    Terry

Very interesting helmet Frank. Perhaps more evidence that helmets of the time actually provided very little protection, unless perhaps from heatstroke.

I don't think the primary purpose of the steel helmet was to stop bullets, I think it was to protect a much as possible from shrapnel. Most war wounds, as I understand it, weren't from bullets. Rather, most wounds were the result of artillery, mortar, bomb and grenade blasts. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that I read that somewhere. Jim G.

- - ------- - -

Nice helmet Frank.

Nice helmet that not everyone can say they have one like it.

Thanks for replying and liking it gents.