Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for Comments on SS Decal

Article about: Hi guys, Looking for some comments and opinions on the Helmet Decal shown below. It is on a helmet that I recently picked up but which came from the collection of a friend who had it in his

?

Default Looking for Comments on SS Decal

Hi guys,

Looking for some comments and opinions on the Helmet Decal shown below. It is on a helmet that I recently picked up but which came from the collection of a friend who had it in his collection for at least, the last 30 years or so. Please take a look and give me your thoughts. SA Mann

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Looking for Comments on SS Decal
    P
    Many

?

Default SS Helmet Decal

Hi guys,

Looking for some comments and opinions on the Helmet Decal shown below. It is on a helmet that I recently picked up but which came from the collection of a friend who had it in his collection for at least, the last 30 years or so. Please take a look and give me your thoughts. SA Mann

?

It has an ET pattern decal. Would like to see more pictures of the helmet.

one always needs to know the maker and lot number of the helmet , even better if you can show the whole helmet.
    But it doesn't look good so far... but the photo is also really bad quality.

MAP
    ?

Please review the posting rules

Posting and Conduct Rules - Steel Helmet Forum

Photos/Information Requirements:
    Picture size: 800x600 minimum.
    Photo quality: Photos need to be clear enough to be evaluated and should be able to be expanded for proper analysis.
    Photo types: We need to see ALL aspects of a helmet. One photo cannot tell the whole story. Even if you just want a decal validated
    - Front, sides, top and back as well as interior
    - Clear "straight on" photos of the decals
    - Liner and Chinstrap
    - Closeups of any distinguishing features such as personalizations, camo, chinstrap markings.
    Lot Number and Maker is required if visible.
    Picture hosting sites are prohibited.
    Links are allowed but only if accompanied with photos.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi Guys,

After doing a ton of research, This is where I have arrived concerning the above decal, and the helmet it is on.

When I made the original post on the decal, I was trying to get some opinions on the decal without the stated distraction of it being on the "wrong" helmet.

I am including good, detailed, photos and a bit of my personal history with the helmet. I have had the helmet, in my collection, since the late 1970's, early 80's. It was originally purchased from Floyd Tubbs and never modified or changed by me in any way.

After what I have found out about it from speaking with several of the acknowledged "Go To" guys in helmet collecting, sending photos around and discussing photos and allowing a "hands on" inspection of the details. I think that the following statement is a Fair and Truthful one regarding the item.

"This is an all Original M40 Quist helmet issued from the factory at some point after August 28, 1943 and, as indicated by the markings, would have been issued without a Decal. It has an Original ET Decal that was applied, either during the period or, at some point later in time, but close to or during the period."

I am seeking any other comment I can get about it and a possible Value.

MANY Thanks and my appreciation of any comments!

SAMann
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Looking for Comments on SS Decal   Looking for Comments on SS Decal  

Looking for Comments on SS Decal   Looking for Comments on SS Decal  

Last edited by SAMann; 01-25-2023 at 05:57 PM.

MAP
    ?

I will disagree with your premise that knowing the maker and lot number are a "distraction". In my view knowing the whole story from the beginning is critical.

In looking at the decal, I would tend to agree that it looks to be an original ET (happy to be corrected on this). I also agree that as a rear stamped Q, this helmet would have left the factory without a decal.

Now as this is a non-factory configuration, the question will always be when this decal was applied? Without any hard provenance, this issue seriously impacts the value of the helmet.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi Map,

I am sorry, but it seems you misunderstood my statement regarding the "distraction". My only thought was that, after being around these types of forums for quite some time, I know how many folks will have a tendency to see a glaring, or really not so glaring, error and immediately dismiss and disregard an item and not look at it further.

I was trying to get people to really take a closer look at the decal itself only to help determine the Originality of the Decal, in spite of the fact of its incorrect placement on this particular helmet rather than just seeing the totality and dismissing it out of hand.

With that said, I hope you understand my motivation for the statement. I want you to know that I totally agree with all you have said, and I Thank You sincerely for the comment. In fact, I think the location of the lot numbers and maker of this helmet, or any helmet, is Crucial to understanding what it really is.

As to the question of when the decal was applied to the helmet. Please Look closely at the photos and, for me, I can see nothing that would indicate a non-period application. But, once again, I agree with your comment and thank you for it. I don't know how we could really determine that.

SAMann

For me this is not an original ET decal. Late lot number indicates this was a factory no decal helmet.
    The leather looks weird as well , any chance to get a photo of the felt under the leather ?

?

Late lot number indicates this was a factory no decal helmet.
    Hello Schwertpunkt, Thank you for the response. If you look at my post with the helmet photos above, you will find my statement as follows;

"as indicated by the markings, would have been issued without a Decal."
    Please, go back and READ my entire post before you make your comment. I welcome and thank anyone for comments or
    questions, however, PLEASE do take the time to read and try to understand my postings before you make comments. I appreciate that there are members here who are non-English speakers primarily. But I would appreciate comments in the form of a question if you do not understand my postings completely.

Also, This is exactly the type of error I was afraid of happening in my very first post in which a member has seen the date and lot number and noticed that the stampings would indicate a non-Decal Helmet and immediately think that the decal was 'wrong" just because it is, by the common understanding, not where it should be.

The helmet liner is a standard 9-finger configuration, but it is made of Pig Skin instead of Cow Leather which, I believe, is what may make it look "weird" to you and some other collectors.

All things considered, I think that this helmet is Very near mint! But, I would place this helmet in the category of 'Anomaly" rather than "Faked".

Thank you again,
    SAMann

As per your request, here is a photo of the helmet liner "Felt". I am sorry, but I cannot move the helmet liner around enough to photograph the liner ring markings.

Last edited by SAMann; 01-25-2023 at 04:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast