Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 Helmet Decal Help

Article about: I'm testing myself a bit on identifying authentic SS decals. I know the real ones are getting harder and harder to find. This one comes from an M40 battlefield relic that is claimed to be au

Default M40 Helmet Decal Help

I'm testing myself a bit on identifying authentic SS decals. I know the real ones are getting harder and harder to find. This one comes from an M40 battlefield relic that is claimed to be authentic, but I'm thinking its an aged reproduction decal. The bottom looks a bit rounded and I don't really see evidence of the decal being lifted from the metal due to age and corrosion. Any other opinions? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

AaronM40 Helmet Decal Help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Helmet Decal Help
    P
    Many

Hello Aaron,

If you really want to learn about decals you must use good study material , so high resolution photographs (not like the one you posted) AND analyse more than just the decal but also the other parts.
    Why look at one thing when there could be more clues when looking at the whole.
    Maker and lot number can be very helpful when it comes to SS decals as well.

From the looks of it this one is not good.

I agree also with Frank ....any detail will be connected with the other and is why the forum community requests additional photos of the whole artifact.
    What may seem as a non relevant detail is for fact very relevant necessity.
    Post as many photos as possible showing the inside and outside of the helmet any numbers found around the inside rim of the helmet ...the helmet liner , vent holes and rim.
    All of it matters. Please

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I just read and reread and reread the post from a former contributor regarding these decals. I had no idea the extent to which you can link these items such as numbers and decals and other features of a helmet together. Please forgive my ignorance. I was given a DD Feuershutzpolitzei helmet for Christmas and I have wanted to jump in to this with both feet, thankfully I haven't made any helmet purchases of my own yet.

Aaron

Thats good, you probably would have got a fake, as the market is full of them, but you can evade most of them if you do your research and ask for Opinions on pieces here in the forum.
    I recommend reading about Decals and looking at Originals in the Forum and for example on Schwehrpunkts Website, German Helmet Vault – Collecting German WW2 helmets.

Quote by GERManAaronNYC View Post
    I'm testing myself a bit on identifying authentic SS decals. I know the real ones are getting harder and harder to find. This one comes from an M40 battlefield relic that is claimed to be authentic, but I'm thinking its an aged reproduction decal. The bottom looks a bit rounded and I don't really see evidence of the decal being lifted from the metal due to age and corrosion. Any other opinions? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

AaronM40 Helmet Decal Help
    I already saw this relic, it's listed on stalingradfront.com isn't so?
    As far as I know more than a forum user here had some trouble with them, I won't suggest you to buy from that site.

As far as i know there are multiple sellers on there, and its just a centralized market place, i´ve heard good and bad opinions about them... havent bought anything so far, but i´m thinking about it. I wouldnt buy something as expensive as an SS Helmet from there though.

Quote by Adravor View Post
    As far as i know there are multiple sellers on there, and its just a centralized market place, i´ve heard good and bad opinions about them... havent bought anything so far, but i´m thinking about it. I wouldnt buy something as expensive as an SS Helmet from there though.
    it is not a marketplace, maybe they have multiple providers but the seller is only one, it is clearly visible by the photos listed on website, which have all the same background.
    Plus (as I work in Moscow) I spoke once with the guy of the site (they're russian) and honestly my impression was not so positive; after I read various threads here about them I became even more sceptic.

Quote by Bigivan View Post
    I already saw this relic, it's listed on stalingradfront.com isn't so?
    As far as I know more than a forum user here had some trouble with them, I won't suggest you to buy from that site.
    Yes, that one is definitely from Stalingradfront.....in fact, it's still on their "SS helmet" page but is now listed as "Reserved" and the price was $1200 US (1096 Euro).

1200 Euros for an Relic helmet? Nothing that i would spend...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast