Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M40, as ss...

Article about: Hello gentlemen, I need your help about this helmet. May I ask your opinion for this SD, M40 SS helmet please. thoughts will be welcome thank you very much for your help. Regards Pascal

I agree with Adravor I compared a original Quist Decal with this one and it matches up pretty well only thing I think is weird is the positioning of the decal I’ve looked through pictures and haven’t seen any placed that low on a helmet might just be my eyes though. Of course I’m not near experienced enough with SS Helmets so of course wait for other opinions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40, as ss...
    P
    Many

I think the decal looks to be original, graphically I like the look of it and the bottom half of the left rune is slightly thicker, which is a characteristic of these decals.
    The helmet and liner look good, but I would like to see a few more pics of the chinstrap.

Question

indeed, leather of the chinstrap seems a little bit thick...
    but think it's OK
    What's odd for you on the chinstrap ?
    thanks
    P.

Quote by Pascal BERNHARD View Post
    indeed, leather of the chinstrap seems a little bit thick...
    but think it's OK
    What's odd for you on the chinstrap ?
    thanks
    P.
    That's what stuck me, the thickness/newness of the leather. Not saying it's bad and the buckle looks half decent, but no harm asking for more detailed pics of strap including buckle and any stamping.

I know the chinstrap is unmarked.
    but agree with you ...

Mhm, unmarked chinstrap is not a dealbreaker as far as i´m concerned, my Luftwaffe M40 also has an unmarked strap. But i would definitly get pictures of it, just to confirm everything about it matches the helmet.

It seems this helmet has a story...

Was post in te german helmet walalla forum by NathanLM on June 2nd 2017

Q64 named and researched to a member of the 2nd company, panzer gr regiment Deutschland, 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich.
    Brought back by 1st Sergeant Charles E Baker.

Sorry, you do not have permission for that!

Certainly the same helmet, interestingly enough the chinstrap seems missing - so the doubts regarding it are probably right...

The helmt also isnt 100% researched ig. it could be that person, but it could be very well another person with the same name, hard to tell.

Below the pic with the added name...

M40, as ss...

Of course anyone can add a name in a helmet, it's because this fact is not important to me.

Nevertheless, it can be true, or not...

I dont think its added, i think its original, i just dont know if it is the exact same soldier, there could have been more then one Karl Ley, so its never 100%. Its definitly a nice touch though. Whats interesting is that he states it was brought back by "1st Sergeant Charles E Baker", would be interesting to follow that lead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast