Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 CKL Single Decal?

Article about: Hey ya'll I received this helmet from a friend of mine a few months back. He purchased it several years ago as authentic and somewhere along the line was told it was bad. I've tried to do my

Default M42 CKL Single Decal?

Hey ya'll

I received this helmet from a friend of mine a few months back. He purchased it several years ago as authentic and somewhere along the line was told it was bad. I've tried to do my due diligence with Hicks, Niewiarowicz and Baers books, and more importantly the wealth of knowledge from all of you here. I have decided to finally bite the bullet and make a post.

The decal looks like the correct ET post 1940, but the hits being in all the distinguishing places raises a major red flag. The breaks in the shield look rounded and the left rune appears peaked. I am new to analyzing decals so I could totally be wrong.

I purchased a microscope and looked for any tell-tale indications of a modern print job (dots or rectangles) and saw none. I did notice that the left side of the decal has a substantial separation along the black outline of the shield and the white body itself. Possibly a shift of the decal in application?

The lot number & size (CKL 64 3154) match a known SS on the database and the wear of the decal seems uniform and correct with that on the helmet overall. There is no trace of any other paint and to the best of my knowledge the liner has not been removed. The liner band is marked 1943 and the liner itself is very brittle. The chinstrap is unmarked.

I'm hoping to hear what you all think! Personally I believe it to be good but I would love to hear from the experts.

Thanks in advance!
    -KG

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 CKL Single Decal?   M42 CKL Single Decal?  

M42 CKL Single Decal?   M42 CKL Single Decal?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 CKL Single Decal?
    P
    Many

I think this one is ok, would love to see the usb close ups if you were able to make sharp ones.

Here they are, didnt want to do a total photo dump!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 CKL Single Decal?   M42 CKL Single Decal?  

M42 CKL Single Decal?  
    Last edited by Larry C; 12-18-2022 at 03:00 PM.

Can you zoom in harder ? At 200 ?

the chin strap looks shortened.
    I wouldn't stretch him over the front for long time.

Do a photo Dump Karl...the more the better for study
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

1 am not an expert but I think it is all good. Jim G.

Thanks so far guys!

Here are some in higher magnification. I played with the settings focused on the same general spot between the two runes. Magnification goes in from to 120x-200x. There’s a little movement in the area. Its tough to get the lighting/focus right but I hope these are better. !

If y’all want me to highlight a certain spot just let me know!

M42 CKL Single Decal?  

Yes I like what I see.