Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

m42 SS Helmet EF

Article about: Hello everyone! This is my first post. I recently purchased an EF m42 from an older gentleman here in the Netherlands that's been collecting war-time radios for over 50 years, and this helme

?

Default m42 SS Helmet EF

Hello everyone! This is my first post. I recently purchased an EF m42 from an older gentleman here in the Netherlands that's been collecting war-time radios for over 50 years, and this helmet is one of those odd bits he's collected over the years. As I'm new to SS helmets I was wondering if I could get help with this one.

The decal looks like an ET (to me), the manufacturer is EF and the size looks to be 64, although the last digit is a little hard to make out. The weird thing is it has a size 58 liner which seems to be original to the helmet. All split pin washers are there and the lot number is 35892. Any help would be appreciated!

m42 SS Helmet EFm42 SS Helmet EFm42 SS Helmet EFm42 SS Helmet EFm42 SS Helmet EFm42 SS Helmet EFm42 SS Helmet EFm42 SS Helmet EFm42 SS Helmet EF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement m42 SS Helmet EF
    P
    Many

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Fake decal - liner appears to me to have been added to a heavily cleaned shell. Can you return it?

?

Thanks for your response! I figured the liner was a bit off. Out of curiosity, what makes you say the shell is heavily cleaned? It might be the lighting in the photos because in person the paint stands out more. I don't really intend to return it because I got a bargain for it anyways, even if it's not in its original configuration. Speaking of, is there any way to know what configuration this helmet would've been in during the war?

MAP
    ?

Will defer to Jim and others on the authenticity of the decal. But there are a few characteristics that I'm not crazy about either

I will also echo what Jim noted, that this shell does look to be scrubbed based on these photos.

I will say however that in Franks Lot # database, there are two helmets with this lot number. Both are SS but both have EF style runes.

On another note, Ken N in his decal book does highlight that there is only one know example of ET Runes being applied to a late war EF M42, but this helmet had the Decal on the opposite side of the helmet (speculation being that it was an EF foreign volunteer re-issue).
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Its called the "round bottom" fake .... can't even call it reproduction because they never existed in the first place...
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Here's my genuine EF shell with a genuine ET decal for comparison - not in the best shape! lot no.s for these are useless for a designation.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 04-20-2021 at 09:15 AM.

?

I want to thank everyone for their help, I never thought I'd get so many responses so quickly! Also learned something new with the late war EF m42 with ET runes.

Sadly this helmet is not a good SS , fake runes , added liner.
    ET runes and EF runes are both used on EF. ET runes are less observed.
    But this is no ET rune.
    Here's mine with ET runes :
    SS Helmets – German Helmet Vault