Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

My New M40 SS helmet

Article about: Hey guys! Just got my M40 SS helmet in and had to take quick pictures of it real quick lol! I didn’t want to keep it out in the sun for long because I just felt like it might cause harm to

?

Quote by PaddyD00 View Post
    Maybe this was the only one of the batch to leave the Factory w an Alu Reinforced Liner? I don't know this all gets tricky. It really stinks to have a question mark on the shelf for this guy. I don't. Just the way I collect and its a bummer that these nice examples can be tampered with so often. Hmm. Is still wait for more opinions.
    Z
    If it would have left the factory with this liner, then the fitting and linerband wouldn't have looked like it was tampered with...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My New M40 SS helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by KRISSE View Post
    If it would have left the factory with this liner, then the fitting and linerband wouldn't have looked like it was tampered with...
    Fair enough .... going around in circles and forgot that was the 1st flag. The misshapen nature of the Liner

It having this liner band requires extra scrutiny as I said when the helmet was first presented before purchase.
    Regardless of the entries in the lot number list always take into account that you are comparing with a microscopic sample of all helmets produced.
    Quist did use alu liner bands much longer than the other makers , up to 1943.
    I have had M40’s NS with 1939 alu liner bands and seen M42’s with 1940 dated alu liner bands.
    I do not believe the first in , first out principle was used back then.
    So it all boils down to looking at the pins , from the inside they look good to. Would love to see them from the outside as well.
    Of course if a helmet with similar lot number and size could be found it could tell us more.
    What is this helmet’s number ?

Hey Schwerpunct! I believe the lot number is R3?? With the last two not heavily stamped but it might be R344 here are some closeup of the pins from the outside let me know if I need to take better ones thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My New M40 SS helmet   My New M40 SS helmet  

My New M40 SS helmet   My New M40 SS helmet  

And here is the lot number weak stamping it might be R344 or R347 I just can’t be sure on the last two.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My New M40 SS helmet  

Thanks , just going by the photos I see nothing that throws a red flag. But of course you have it in hand and need to decide to keep the helmet or not.
    Time will tell if this 1938 liner is a one off or if a batch of these have existed that were factory applied.
    If it bothers you I would send it back.

Thank you Schwerpunct for that. I’m still trying to decide on that question I love the helmet itself but am I willing to put up with the unknown about the helmet.

I think they might have just had it left in the factory stock and decided to use it.
    If you look at the video of Stahlhelm production, you can see how they just took some liners out of the depot to fit them and probably some got left behind as newer shipments came in sometimes and were used later as they probably tended to use the liners that were easily accessible first.
    And since at least one of the R prefix helmets has a 1941 dated liner band in the database I think a 1938 dated liner isn't too far fetched.
    If it had an even earlier unreinforced liner I would be concerned.
    Like this I still give it a good chance as long as the split pins are nice and unplayed with I wouldn't be too concerned with it.
    Luis

Personally i would keep it. The Lotnr. Database is important, and if it was for example the wrong decal on a shell i would definitly return it, but a liner with the wrong (too early that is - an late war liner would be definitly more concerning) liner, seems like something that could happen to me, especially as everything else matches, and the split pints look like they have been on this helmet for a long time, especially the patina arround the split pins look convincing to me. There is always the possibility that an earlyer liner was still lying in some storage hall, and was used as there was no reason to not use it.

The only possibility of it being replaced post war seems to me that it was rather early after the war switched(For it to get that kind of patina), maybe with factory surplus pins that the owner somehow found, and then switched the liner of another helmet he had lying arround, but this theory is rather far fetched, and it being a factory-assembled piece makes more sense to me.

It’s a very personal choice. I need to be sure of my Helmets. I wish that part of my brain didn’t exist to be honest. But It does. And that how I chose to build my collection. That KM I sent back was more clearly messed with than this one. It would have been killer Though. Displayed and no one would have known there were two kinks in the pins. But I would have. Taking to some fellow collectors too ... how I feel is def not the golden rule or the right way. There isn’t one. Another factor for me is ... what if I don’t want to be a collector in 10 years. Or I’m moving to Hawaii and need to fundraise. I’ll have to go through this whole song and dance again when I’m ready to sell. (As stated this has more to do w a more messed with helmet than this one).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast