Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)

Article about: Hi. I have done a little research as I know nothing of german helmets - this one was left to me by my father. It seems to be an M16 pattern but I cannot see any code stamped on it (I have no

?

Default Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)

Hi. I have done a little research as I know nothing of german helmets - this one was left to me by my father. It seems to be an M16 pattern but I cannot see any code stamped on it (I have not unlaced the liner but could not see anything in the interior). I think my father aquired it in the mid 1950s and I do remember it as a child early 1960s. The SS decal looks too pristine to me but I would welcome your views. Regards, Dom M

Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)
    P
    Many

?

On looking again there is a worn code just forward of the interior left hand chinstrap rivet. Could it be W 66 for a Hermann Weissenburger & Co size 66 helmet?

Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)

?

Some clearer shots:

Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)Possible SS helmet for review please (M16?)

Looks like a post WW2 repaint over the top of what was a very nice M16. There is still a good WW1 helmet lurking underneath that black paint. Liner and chinstrap look original too.

Cheers,
    Steve

Maybe those horrid decals can be soaked off? They are waterslide and steam may soften the glue enough for them to be removed.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I agree with Steve, if you can carefully remove the paint you'll have a nice original ww1 helmet

The decals are reproductions , the shell has been repainted on the outside. Interior looks all original , paint and leather.

?

Thanks for the interesting replies. Does anyone know of a reference on how to remove the top coat of black paint without damaging the original underneath?
    Many thanks, Dom

Depending how brittle the coat is you can probably carefully scrape a razor blade over it and that might chip it away, I would stay away from paint strippers or anything like that for obvious reasons

I have in the past used Nitromores paint stripper with excellent results. So my theory goes, the newer paint will bubble before the original paint is attacked, and the secret is to have a container of white spirits and a rag at hand to neutralise the stripper before it has chance to attack what you don't want it to attack. Be warned though, that this is not for the faint hearted... and if you cannot accept that it might go horribly wrong, then try something less severe.

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast