Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS helmet with battle damage - Need help if legit or not

Article about: Hi guys - as always, I would appreciate the review & opinions of everyone here as to the following helmet. Looking forward to any responses asap. I have the inside track on this helmet -

Default SS helmet with battle damage - Need help if legit or not

Hi guys - as always, I would appreciate the review & opinions of everyone here as to the following helmet. Looking forward to any responses asap.

I have the inside track on this helmet - owner has had it for years and wants to sell it. He was going to put it up for auction but is giving me the 1st right of refusal. I believe it is an M35 because of the vent/grommets (one gone) but I don't believe the maker/serial stamps are visible because of the decay.

Does it look in any way wrong or are there concerns that stand out marking it as fake?? Or is it impossible to tell because of the wear? I can see that the SS decal seems slightly canted but I've seen legit helmets (on GHV site) that exhibit this too - is that though a beware of sign?:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS helmet with battle damage - Need help if legit or not
    P
    Many

I have no expertise on SS helmets. However, I think the damage may have been done deliberately to destroy it's reuse. I have seen photos of helmets being "decommissioned" so to speak by whacking them with a pick-axe. NH

My first thought was also a helmet that’s been ‘pick-axed’. More common with Imperial helmets, but not unheard of for WWII examples.

Close-ups of the decals would be required for our resident experts to make a call one way or another.

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    My first thought was also a helmet that’s been ‘pick-axed’. More common with Imperial helmets, but not unheard of for WWII examples.

Close-ups of the decals would be required for our resident experts to make a call one way or another.

Regards, B.B.
    I can try to get one but if it helps at all, here are cropped close ups from the 1st and 2nd photos above:

M38
    ?

Those are not real decals in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Terry

I am sorry but I have to agree with Terry. Jim G.

If you are considering an SS helmet make sure to get maker and lot number and in the same breath good decal close ups, sometimes just cross referencing them with production tables I just put up on the SS decals page on my website can already help you with a decision.
    Canted decals are mostly observed on ckl M42’s , just an application error.
    Like Terry and Jim I do not like these decals.

Quote by M38 View Post
    Those are not real decals in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Terry
    Quote by helmet2id View Post
    I am sorry but I have to agree with Terry. Jim G.
    +1 from me also - the proportions of the runes and shield are wrong IMO.

I cannot comment on the decals, as I have never bothered to study them, but the holes are more likely than not, to be battle damage. It is not the work of a pick-axe... a pick-axe only delivers a low velocity strike and the metal is bent inwards.

Cheers,
    Steve

Agree with Steve that the cracks on the crown are similar to those inflicted by blast/shrapnel rather than a pick axe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast