Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS helmet fake? Please help!

Article about: I picked this helmet up a little while ago and can I get some thoughts on it? Anything SS makes me sceptical. Any help would be great thank you!

Default SS helmet fake? Please help!

I picked this helmet up a little while ago and can I get some thoughts on it? Anything SS makes me sceptical. Any help would be great thank you! SS helmet fake? Please help!SS helmet fake? Please help!SS helmet fake? Please help!SS helmet fake? Please help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS helmet fake? Please help!
    P
    Many

I hope these pics are better and I cannot help the pics are sideways. SS helmet fake? Please help!SS helmet fake? Please help!SS helmet fake? Please help!

?

Hello, One big tip.. Ask before you buy !! G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Hey to me it looks like someone just applied surface rust to the helmet so if that’s even remotely right then the rest of the helmet would be “compromised” but iam still early on in the learning process so that’s just my opinion wait for others who know more.

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Hello, One big tip.. Ask before you buy !! G

Hello X2. The helmet is rusted to point where the vents openings and shell is rotted clean through, but decals are still semi intact? Also if you see paint, or in this case decal coloration within the metal pits that's a big red flag. I hope it wasn't a heavy investment. Kindest regards.

Brian

MAP
    ?

Looks like a recent creation to me.

In looking at the alignment of the Sig Runes, it looks like it is supposed to be an ET decal. But we should be seeing a break in the black border (left side big red box) just above the bottom of the left Sig Rune (which using the bottom of the right Sig Rune as a proxy should be in the smaller red box). but it is clearly still running vertically and not "breaking in" to the right to form the bottom curve of the decal.

Further the left Rune is significantly wider than the right Rune.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

To add to what Michael has said, it looks like the decal has been placed over the rust and this can be seen in places:

Quote by MAP View Post
    Further the left Rune is significantly wider than the right Rune.
    I'm sure this rune width mismatch was picked up before (by Leon?) as an indication of a fake decal.

This helmet would not be one for me.
    Nick

On a Quist SS decal the left rune is wider from the center to the lower part of the rune. But this one shows the entire left rune much wider & the angle of the runes themselves match no known original. Add to that the other observations of decal placement over rust & you have a post war creation
    D.

Well, the lads have said it all already so I won't rub it in but just one question; if, as you say you are sceptical in the first place why did you buy it before checking it out fully as SS items whether relic or mint will always be at the higher end of the price scale compared to similar pieces from other arms of service? Just curious.

Regards

Mark
    PS Most of us have bought some real howlers as novice collectors but usually it was back in pre-internet days and before so much good reference material was available.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-06-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you for all your help. I remember I got the helmet cheap and I was always wondering if it was real or not. Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast