Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Helmet Help - M42 SS ET Decal

Article about: Hi All, I'm a new member here. Hopefully someone can help me out. I purchased a SD SS helmet 15-20 years ago. Later, someone told me that ET SS decals were not used on M42s, so I chalked it

Default SS Helmet Help - M42 SS ET Decal

Hi All, I'm a new member here. Hopefully someone can help me out. I purchased a SD SS helmet 15-20 years ago. Later, someone told me that ET SS decals were not used on M42s, so I chalked it up to an expensive lesson (If these types of forums existed back then, I didn't know about them). Recently, I ran into contradictory information, specifically, that some M42 EF made shells DID in fact have ET style runes. However, I am seeing conflicting info. So, I don't want to get my hopes up, but reaching out to some of the experts here for advise. Please let me know if better pictures are needed.
    Thanks!
    SS Helmet Help - M42 SS ET DecalSS Helmet Help - M42 SS ET Decal

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Helmet Help - M42 SS ET Decal
    P
    Many

Looks to be a pretty solid SS lid to me and quoting Ken N's German decal book, "ET pattern Runic shields as this one (pictured on page 170) are sometimes found applied to EF M42 helmets." The lot number appears to be 2634 which is consistent with SD EF helmets, including SS versions, listed in Brian Ice's lot number database and he even states an example with an SS ET decal (#2583). I think you're good to go. Nice helmet.

iRon

Thank you for your response, iRon. Although very faint, I think the lot number might actually be '3634' - and if so, would that change your opinion?
    Thanks again.

It looks like a EF shell, but I don't like the ET style decal, the rune placement looks to high within the shield and the break looks too sharp - a round bottomed fake imo.

Wwell....yes but it's not a complete deal breaker. Again, going by Brian's lot number database the end of factory applied EF decals (of any branch) was at #3654 (ending 28 Aug 1943) and the last known SD SS known/listed is #3591 Your helmet is very close to the end of decal application and it not impossible it could be one of the very last made.

iRon

You were wrongly informed. ET style SS decals were used on M42 helmets - mainly on ET helmets with ckl stampings up to Lot numbers around 3200(ish).
    It seems on EF M42 helmets they are very rare as stated above.

I am also not keen on this decal. The break points and round bottom don't look right to me.
    Nick

Here's a EF with a ET

Hi, sorry but I am in agreement with the others. This is not an ET decal, shield breaks should be curved and not sharp as this one shows. Also as mentioned the runes are to high in the shield for an ET decal. Actually, for me it looks nearer to a Quist decal, but it is not one of those either. Leon.

I must admit to being disappointed - but, as a new member, I am amazed by the number and quality of responses I received within 3 hours. Thank you!! Now I'm going to follow up and look into the 'rounded SS' decal.
    Thanks again!
    basilts

I did a comparison of my decal superimposed over a known ET and known 'rounded' fake. Unfortunately it looks like this confirms mine is fake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast