Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

Article about: I’m going to take the plunge and post this here, I’m not a German collector but am a peeping Tom on this part of the forum. The stamps are listed as K064, I tend to think this should be

?

Default SS M42 ckl 64 SD

I’m going to take the plunge and post this here, I’m not a German collector but am a peeping Tom on this part of the forum.

The stamps are listed as K064, I tend to think this should be ckl 64, lot number 2531.

This helmet came up on an auction site, I keep going back to it taking a closer look, liner and shell look good to me, so it’s the cammo and decal that are questionable – no surprise there.

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

The cammo paint half the time I think, pronounced brush stokes, no original paint underneath, has to be fake….. but the wear around the edge looks like a heavily worn original.

The decal, fully out of my depth, I some attempt at educating myself thanks to resource available here and German Helmet Vault, M42 ET should have ET decals which I've looked at and compared against.
    At this point I will apologize for the quality of the image, I contacted the site for a better image but they haven’t, responded. (This would normally be a red flag but this site is really slow in responding). The photos on the site have the ability to magnify portion and I’ve added some screen shots of that.

From my evaluation the gap between the right rune and the side of the shield is larger than the original examples shown, but to be honest the deeper I look the less confident I get and would still want some validation from an educated group. I would expect more damage consummate with the helmet paint condition.

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

Is it a good fake or too good to be true? Is it a non starter or should I keep pushing for better images.

Thanks,
    Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS M42 ckl 64 SD
    P
    Many

The wear on the paint concerns me and looks artificially made:

SS M42 ckl 64 SD

Looks like the same tool used multiple times. And then the helmet has been poorly aged.

The decal - i could not say from these pics, but i would not hold my breath.

Remember, with some auction sites you do not have the returns policy you may have with a dealer.

nick

?

Thanks for the response Nick, I wouldn't contradict any of those comments. To be honest unless there was an optimistic consensus here, I wouldn't even bother asking for better photos let alone bid on it.

Steve.

Ah, the "barbed wire weathering" technique ...... may not fool the knowledgeable, but I'm sure its a great stress reliever!

"take that ...and that ...and that!"
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

Steve,

I would give it more than two thumbs down....but only have two.

Paint as said is forced and fake. Decal is a fake too. It is graphically wrong (at least what I can see from the photos).
    Last edited by MAP; 02-08-2022 at 02:27 PM. Reason: grammar
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

From the vents it is probably a hkp and they did not factory produce for the SS, but all round looks bad also so...

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    From the vents it is probably a hkp and they did not factory produce for the SS, but all round looks bad also so...
    Good spot - and ties in with the seller's assumption that the manufacturer code is "K064". Likely it is hkp64.

?

Thanks for all the inputs, I have to say I'm not surprised but sometimes your head takes you down the path of wanting to believe.

Steve.