Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Paratrooper Helmet

Article about: Good Afternoon! I was hoping you guys could help me on the authenticity of this SS Paratrooper Helmet I currently own. Comparing it to other helmets in images it looks authentic except it is

Default SS Paratrooper Helmet

Good Afternoon!
    I was hoping you guys could help me on the authenticity of this SS Paratrooper Helmet I currently own. Comparing it to other helmets in images it looks authentic except it is missing the eagle on the left side of the helmet. I'm not overly concerned if it does turn out to be a replica as I'm not trying to sell it!
    PS I apologise for all my pictures being in the wrong orientation, they are all portrait on my laptop, but once I upload them they rotate to the side

Jonny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Paratrooper Helmet   SS Paratrooper Helmet  

SS Paratrooper Helmet   SS Paratrooper Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Paratrooper Helmet
    P
    Many

M38
    ?

Sorry, nothing good there including the shell, liner, straps. All fake! To my knowledge, SS decals were never used wartime on M38's.

Terry

From what I see, The entire helmet is a reproduction, including the shell.
    Sorry, didn't mean to "whip a dead horse", Terry , beat me to it

Collector11
    ?

i have heard of an SS fallschirmjager battailon.

- - ------- - -

fake because the runes are thinner than originals

If it were real, I'd imagine something like this would sell for a small fortune. Fallschirmjäger helmets are rare and sought after pieces as it is. Can't imagine what the rarity - and price tag - of an SS piece would be.
    Most of the time, when I see a helmet with chicken wire on it, I assume it to be fake. Such wire was used in wartime, but there can be absolutely no way of knowing whether the wire is original to the lid or a postwar embellishment.

Regards, B.B.

I was once told that wartime chicken wire twists/joints/overlaps (whatever!) only twist one way whilst post war bits are pinched in the middle and twisted in the same directions outward from the pinch point...which would make this wire post war.......but I was also told never to take sweets from strangers, not to spit (or other) into the wind and never...NEVER eat yellow snow......but as I don't collect TR lids anymore, don't have a '38 and feel the same way about it as Mr Fast (above) what do I know! :-)

M38
    ?

[QUOTE=kaibos11;1814133]i have heard of an SS fallschirmjager battailon.

- - ------- - -

True but the SS FJ was a late war group - late 1943 into 1944 - and by then decals were no longer being placed on combat helmets. There is nothing at all good or real about the helmet shown here. Total fabrication from the ground up, including the American style chickenwire.

Cheers,
    Terry

A poor repro... I prefer the fireplace and the 'Mr & Mrs Hatton' sign in the background.

Thanks guys for all the information. How much is a genuine paratrooper roughly to buy? I would like to get an original as both this and the M35 helmet both seem to be replicas.
    Thanks for noticing the fireplace Harry , however, Der Name ist Hahn

An M38 of any kind is going to set you back a pretty hefty amount. I can't tell you the average price, as I never bother looking at them on dealer websites. Depending on the condition, decals, etc. they're up there in the realms of Knight's Crosses and SS regalia.

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast