Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Relic M-44 Helmet Opinions and Comments Please

Article about: Greetings, Here is a Relic Helmet sent to me by a friend in Russia many years ago that allegedly was found in an abandoned bunker near Stalingrad. Back in the day when I got it I don't think

?

Default SS Relic M-44 Helmet Opinions and Comments Please

Greetings,

Here is a Relic Helmet sent to me by a friend in Russia many years ago that allegedly was found in an abandoned bunker near Stalingrad. Back in the day when I got it I don't think too many people even fooled with relic stuff. Boy, has that changed! I only have a few Helmets and thought I would put some of them up for comments and an Idea of what they might be worth. I mainly fool with daggers and this one has always been a bit of an Orphan in my pile.

Anyway, What do you guys think?

Many Thanks!

SAmann

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Relic M-44 Helmet Opinions and Comments Please
    P
    Many

The SS didn’t participate in the Battle of Stalingrad, and the decal appears to have been applied over pitting, suggesting it’s a post-recovery addition. Sorry to say, but this is a plain relic helmet that’s had a decal added to it to increase its value.

B.B.

?

Thanks BB,

Just to be sure, here is a better, Close-up photo of the decal. Is your opinion still the same? The location was based on years old memory of what she told me, she wasn't even a collector, just knew I was. Either way, any clue what this would be worth?

Again, Thanks for the input!

SAMann

Definitely looks applied over pitting to me, though I'll leave a definitive answer to the helmet experts. Anything SS is a long way out of my ballpark.

B.B.

?

Thanks again! I will wait to see if anybody else wants to chime in!

SAmann

M38
    ?

Looking at the interior, I am guessing that the maker mark and lot number are too rusty to read? It would be helpful to know the shell maker. If it is an EF, the decal at least has some characteristics of an EF decal but at this point it does not really look hopeful at all.

Cheers,
    Terry

I can't say I'm a big fan of the decal either. I agree with BB's observation of this being applied over the pitting. I know that each relic is unique in how it degraded, but I've never seen an authentic decal on a relic helmet look this way before.

?

Many Thanks guys,

Well, it appears that maybe I don't have anything of any historical significance here after all. I was considering going ahead and stripping it out and restoring it to like new condition for a display and I didn't want to damage it if it was the real deal. Now, I won't feel bad. The shell is still Very solid and not thin anywhere and could easily take being blasted back to the bare metal. Doesn't have any deep pits on it anywhere.

I have many years of experience restoring and Painting Antique Motorcycle sheet metal and this is a lot heavier material to work with than most of those old Indian skirted fenders do! Maybe I will post the results when I am done. I want to end up with something like this when I am done. I think I can do a much better job of painting and aging than this , though.

Again, Many Thanks

SAmann

For me the decal is not authentic or seriously post war enhanced.

Quote by SAMann View Post
    Many Thanks guys,

Well, it appears that maybe I don't have anything of any historical significance here after all. I was considering going ahead and stripping it out and restoring it to like new condition for a display and I didn't want to damage it if it was the real deal. Now, I won't feel bad. The shell is still Very solid and not thin anywhere and could easily take being blasted back to the bare metal. Doesn't have any deep pits on it anywhere.

I have many years of experience restoring and Painting Antique Motorcycle sheet metal and this is a lot heavier material to work with than most of those old Indian skirted fenders do! Maybe I will post the results when I am done. I want to end up with something like this when I am done. I think I can do a much better job of painting and aging than this , though.

Again, Many Thanks

SAmann
    Right O!! M 44's are Cool!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast