MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waffen-SS M35 (Q66), double decal, modified chin-strap

Article about: Hello all, I present for opinions / perusal my Waffen-SS M35 double-decal with an (apparently) period-modified chin-strap (most likely added from a binocular case or similar). According to t

?

Default Waffen-SS M35 (Q66), double decal, modified chin-strap

Hello all,

I present for opinions / perusal my Waffen-SS M35 double-decal with an (apparently) period-modified chin-strap (most likely added from a binocular case or similar). According to the auction house it was bought from the shell was likely painted over completely, but then restored post-war to reveal the decals once again. Marked Q66 934. '58' ink-stamp to liner. From the little research I've done the decal seems good -- Pocher on a Q66 is correct, no?

Looking forward to opinions, and thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen-SS M35 (Q66), double decal, modified chin-strap
    P
    Many

Unfortunately you bought a fake waffen SS helmet , a little study and asking around could have saved you. The liner and shell are good and that is it.
    Nothing collectable here.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Unfortunately you bought a fake waffen SS helmet , a little study and asking around could have saved you. The liner and shell are good and that is it.
    Nothing collectable here.
    Thanks for the reply! So, unfortunately, it appears that the decals are faked? From what (beginner's) study I did do it seemed good, alas. 1st pattern runes, ending at a sharp break, nice silver-metallic finish etc. Looks like a I need a better-trained eye. As someone clearly better versed, would you care to give a more detailed opinion, for future reference?

Quote by Fiore View Post
    Thanks for the reply! So, unfortunately, it appears that the decals are faked? From what (beginner's) study I did do it seemed good, alas. 1st pattern runes, ending at a sharp break, nice silver-metallic finish etc. Looks like a I need a better-trained eye. As someone clearly better versed, would you care to give a more detailed opinion, for future reference?
    I wish it was so easy so I could explain it all in one post. The study starts with knowing which decal designs are applied by which helmet factories then you need to familiarise yourself with those designs. The party shield is easy as the white circle sits too high and the runes are Pocher look alikes but far from the real thing.
    You can find more study material on my website.
    SS Decals – German Helmet Vault

?

I wish it was so easy so I could explain it all in one post. The study starts with knowing which decal designs are applied by which helmet factories then you need to familiarise yourself with those designs. The party shield is easy as the white circle sits too high and the runes are Pocher look alikes but far from the real thing.
    You can find more study material on my website.
    SS Decals – German Helmet Vault

Thanks again for your time. So, if I understand, Quist shells should ONLY have Q-type decals, no other type? Obviously I was confused there.

Quote by Fiore View Post
    Thanks again for your time. So, if I understand, Quist shells should ONLY have Q-type decals, no other type? Obviously I was confused there.
    Quist runes factory applied and Pocher runes are possible too but applied in depot or field. But with Pocher runes one must be double careful as there are good copies.

?

Quist runes factory applied and Pocher runes are possible too but applied in depot or field. But with Pocher runes one must be double careful as there are good copies.
    Ah, I see. So it is possible that an M35 could have Pocher runes -- but these are not real Pocher runes. Though, from looking at the reference photos you linked to on your website, I cannot seem to tell the difference, untrained eye as I have. Perhaps, if I had to guess, would it be that the distance I have highlighted below appears a little too great on mine? Or the background paint should be whiter and not so silver?

From your site, for reference:

what you mention and more. takes a daily dose of training and comparing. It's fun once you get the hang of it.
    Hope the helmet did not cost you much.

?

Well, as to that... at least I shouldn't have much trouble returning it. Thanks again for your input. A lot more learning to do!

MAP
    ?

what you mention and more. takes a daily dose of training and comparing. It's fun once you get the hang of it.
    Well said Frank. The studying is fun and part of the journey.

@Fiore - While the decals are a dud, and it is always wise to post before purchasing, I do applaud your effort to to learn and ask questions. Too often we just get "is it real" questions from members with minimal self study and progression of skills after multiple posts.

Oh and thanks for nice photos too. Another oft encountered issues we get.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast