Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What did I just buy M42

Article about: Bought this thinking they were a reliable dealer but I should of came here and asked the experts first… Hoping this is legit. If it’s not please explain what is wrong with it? If it’s

Should have posted pics before you brought…..many issues with this lid, good luck returning it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What did I just buy M42
    P
    Many

Appreciate the help guys. Auction houses sure have lost their integrity

Even salty S/D m42's usually fetch $4000-$5000.hope you get a refund without any problems.

MAP
    ?

Quote by AlphaWolfe View Post
    There are some very good auction houses that do there best to authenticate items, but sadly many don't.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That's very true Michael,most Auction houses in the Uk just push rubbish through and sometimes only supply one picture too.

?

Quote by AlphaWolfe View Post
    It is ultimately the buyer that is responsible for the purchase, the integrity lies within you, take the time to learn about the items you wish to collect, study, read threads and buy books, and always when in doubt ask here before plunking down you $$$, ( No malice intended ) we have all bought stinkers, learn from it and become a better collector.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    That's very true Michael,most Auction houses in the Uk just push rubbish through and sometimes only supply one picture too.
    I have never bought 1 helmet from an auction house since I started collecting almost 25 years ago. I think the allure is that you expect to get helmets cheaper. Unfortunately that is often not the case. On top of that if you are new collector with no knowledge on the subject auctions can be a trap as a lot of fakes are sold by auction houses not experienced in militaria. While a helmet bought from a dealer with warranty can be shipped back.

Pal
    ?

I noticed you mentioned “jb millitary antiques”
    Reliable or not as I am attending an auction there in November an would like to know what I am getting into.
    Thanks for any assistance.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Pal View Post
    I noticed you mentioned “jb millitary antiques”
    Reliable or not as I am attending an auction there in November an would like to know what I am getting into.
    Thanks for any assistance.
    I think GWAR sums it up well in post #16.

We are responsible. So if there is something you are interested in that is coming up for auction, do your homework and post for other opinions.

If the information provided from the auction house is not adequate and they are not willing to provide more details, then just walk a way. None of this stuff is so rare there won't be another opportunity down the road.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Pal, for it’s worth, I also live in Australia and have only ever purchased a couple of small items from dealers down here. That may be partly due to my areas of collecting and the lack of dealers who sell items in those particular fields, but overall I find the overseas offerings better in both quality and quantity. I’ve seen some of the offerings in the JB catalogues and haven’t been impressed with some of the items. In the thread below you can read some discussion about JB Military Antiques.
    Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen 100 - real or good fake?

At the end of the day, you’ll only get out of this hobby what you put into it. If you’re truly passionate and have patience, you should be able to avoid most of the pitfalls and until such time or when you want a second option, you the 100’s of years of collective experience in the members of this forum. It’s great resource and with the search box on the top right of the page, you’ve got another great resource to get you started.

Good luck!
    Andy
    Last edited by AndyM35; 08-15-2022 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Typos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast