Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alu Danziger TK

Article about: It has been a while since i have posted any skull related items. This Danziger TK came in to my possession in the end of last year. I made a gamble with a lowball bid and got it for next to

Dos
    ?

Default Alu Danziger TK

It has been a while since i have posted any skull related items. This Danziger TK came in to my possession in the end of last year. I made a gamble with a lowball bid and got it for next to nothing. I have been looking at it since, and can't come up with a solid conclusion. The details seem to be correct and compare favorable towards similar skulls in Tombak and Zink alloys. There are only a few Aluminum alloy examples that can be found here. My F.W. Assmann & Sohne Sales Catalog mentions a "Leichtmetall" on object 16650. Other insignia are specified as being other sorts of alloys with different finishes. I wonder if this option was meant to be specified as an Aluminum alloy.

Alu Danziger TKAlu Danziger TK

At first the surface was throwing me off, but i can't spot any casting defects on the surface next to the oxidation. The oxidation is something i have never seen before. It covers about 70% of the surface on the front and back side. It almost looks like an acid that has eaten into the surface...I can't confirm this kind of oxidation is something that would happen in the ground or with high humidity. On the other side, it shows indications of being a die stamped piece. The edge of the dome, the nasal and eye cavities show a clean cut. Just like you would find on authentic pieces. Does anyone have any answers to my questions or has any opinions?

I hope to have some assistance with this piece. Anything is much appreciated, Thanks.

Marten

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Alu Danziger TK
    P
    Many

?

Marten, I'd say the skull is a 100% authentic. The surface looks pitted. I have an aluminum ground dug Deschler that exhibits a similar but more advanced pitting corrosion. Curiously though yours is very evenly distributed. Perhaps "another ant" can help us with this one, he seems to be well versed in the different aspects of corrosion and chemical reactions on these badges.

BTW, great detailed photos

Alu Danziger TK

Alu Danziger TK
    Regards, Al

Dos
    ?

Hi Aldo, Much appreciated.

Thanks for the comparison to your Deschler. It does show similar corrosion in some places, but the evenly distributed corrosion on mine still gives me a pause.. it helps that you consider it to be original. If it had the normal wear and tear it would be much easier to authenticate. I hope that our other colleagues chime in. If i remember correctly, you also have an aluminum example of this type? Please post it here for comparison

Marten

?

Marten, I have to dig it out of storage and take nice photo's. The pics I have on file are not high quality but here they are anyway. Also 3 more alu danziger's from the John T. site. They all share the same smooth soft metal without any real blemishes. Yours may very well be a different alloy as you said but I'm thinking it was ground dug then subsequently cleaned. let's see what others say.

Credit: John Telesmanich

Regards, Al

?

I agree with Al's opinion. A ground dug aluminum piece with period prongs. I would add this skull to the collection in a heartbeat.

Dos
    ?

Thanks friend! I did not know that John T. had so many aluminum examples for sale in the past. Great reference, even with the flat pins. And of course your own example!

Appreciate your post Vocht, thanks.

Marten I still have much to learn in this field but I agree with Al's opinion as well. Being a ground dug and at some point cleaned makes sense, I think it would be difficult to fake this look

In my opinion, Dos has succeeded in linking these aluminum skulls
    to Assmann since we have in the same catalog the eagle of direct contract with the SS made of 155/38 aluminum too ,the evolution of the 155/36 that would no longer appear in this catalog.

Alu Danziger TK

The skull is listed in Assmann's catalog as an army insignia, not an SS item not rzm mark in back needed I would place its production in 1938-39 Assmann was already playful with aluminum in 1938. New and earlier 2pattern Deschlers skulls were available for the SS.
    although I would not deny that some used it like other patterns of skulls that were no longer produced.

Alu Danziger TK

In terms of corrosion, it is very uniform on the piece, the prongs show it very well.

Alu Danziger TK

I do not think it is an dug up piece, not showing more pronounced damage and corrosion as Aldo example and anothers, I can't tell you what has caused those pitting in the aluminum but you can see something similar in these aluminum spoons of same time line.

Alu Danziger TK

what looks like dirt has been embedded in the pitted parts and has created that patina, I think that if you cleaned with some product for aluminum you would end up seeing this, the smooth and uniform pressed part and the rough inner part like this example.

Alu Danziger TK

I hope you don't clean it, that patina looks great on your original piece.

this is my opinion I hope this helps , you can always show it in WAF and surely some expert there will not take more than 1 minute to release the typical senseless sentence without meaning or argument ,
    cast fake skull.

ps: if you don't mind me, send me a pm explain how to get that pure black background in the front and back photos of the skull.
    thanks.

?

Hi Another Ant, do you have a digital copy of the full Assmann catalogue? I have collected some snippets over the years but never found the full one.

I hope it helps you, you just have to copy and paste.
    Link provided thanks to the Warrelics forum.

Firma F. W. Assmann & Sohne - Uniform buttons

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast