Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Another danziger

Article about: Hello It amazes me how many different variations of this type of skull there is. Ive been trying to learn how to identify the good from the bad, but with these there are so many different va

Default Another danziger

Hello
    It amazes me how many different variations of this type of skull there is. Ive been trying to learn how to identify the good from the bad, but with these there are so many different variables from overall shape, to prong style ect.. Anyhow was hoping to get opinions on this one. It looks good to me, but a couple things I see that are a concern. There are a couple "spots" around the cheekbone area that could be a result of casting? Also looking at the front, there seems to be a little extra material inside the nasel cavity. Hard to tell, not the greatest pics. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another danziger   Another danziger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another danziger
    P
    Many

Dos
    ?

I have seen this type of Danziger skull a few times. There are some high quality fakes going around from this type and although it looks good. I do have my doubts about the authenticity of this particular specimen. I believe it was used pre Freikorps time era by a specific unit. I have saved some images with the name from this type of skull, but can’t access them for the next few days. I can’t remember the name at this moment unfortunately. I advise you to read the full length of this topic. Robin Lumsden and some other members there show some very exotic and rare skulls. This one is also shown in this topic if im not mistaken!

A higher quality and in focus picture of the back and front will help a lot!

Maybe someone else will help out in the meantime?

-Dos

Flammenwerfer! Flames, skulls and stuff - Page 77 - Germany: Imperial Uniforms, Headwear, Insignia & Personal Equipment - Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Quote by Dos View Post
    I have seen this type of Danziger skull a few times. There are some high quality fakes going around from this type and although it looks good. I do have my doubts about the authenticity of this particular specimen. I believe it was used pre Freikorps time era by a specific unit. I have saved some images with the name from this type of skull, but can’t access them for the next few days. I can’t remember the name at this moment unfortunately. I advise you to read the full length of this topic. Robin Lumsden and some other members there show some very exotic and rare skulls. This one is also shown in this topic if im not mistaken!

A higher quality and in focus picture of the back and front will help a lot!

Maybe someone else will help out in the meantime?

-Dos

Flammenwerfer! Flames, skulls and stuff - Page 77 - Germany: Imperial Uniforms, Headwear, Insignia & Personal Equipment - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    Thank you Marten. The pics in the thread you linked didn't come up for me, maybe due to age of the thread. I am a little skeptical of this one myself and can't find references to compare it too. These are the only pics I have from their website. The closest I can find is from Aldo's collection but I'm not sure if its the same one or not. I often refere to Aldo's fine collection as he has some of the best examples I've seen and takes excellent pictures. I do see some minor differences

Pics credited to Aldo
    Attached Images Attached Images Another danziger  Another danziger 

First skull is a fake

?

Sid, I always assumed the skulls in the OP were fakes. Is there an original version of this type of skull ? Thanks, Al

Quote by carlsson1982 View Post
    First skull is a fake
    Thank you sir.

These first pattern totenkopfs are so varied in design and different attributes to each design, makes identification very difficult for a beginner like me.

I'm still striving to learn and thank everyone here for their vast knowledge.

Hopefully at some point I can contribute to help others. I honestly hate being the one always asking for help, and not being able to give back just yet, but I am trying.

Thanks again!

Dan

Double post
    Last edited by Buster1; 02-18-2021 at 05:21 PM. Reason: computer..

Computer error..

?

Dan, the one you posted is very different from the one in my collection. The features in your post are filled out and almost "puffy" looking, mine has a lot of angular creases on the cheeks and forehead. there is also another variation that is similar, take a look. With time it will all make sense to you. Al

Credit: Friedrich-Berthold
    Another danzigerAnother danziger

Here is another type from my collection:
    Another danziger

Credit: Robin Lumsden
    Another danziger

Thank you Al. The 2 you posted are very similar indeed. Looks like the one from Robin Lumsden's example the eyes are more of a uniform round shape, whereas yours they are a little more oval. Yes, I still have much to learn.

As always thank you, and Marten and Sid. You guys are great!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast