Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another one new addition, of a small collection.

Article about: Another one new addition, of a small collection. Inside a mixture of originals and repros, have three same skulls found. Because, the photos are not the best, I known it's a risky purchase,

Default Another one new addition, of a small collection.

Inside a mixture of originals and repros, have three
    same skulls found.
    Because, the photos are not the best, I known it's a risky purchase, but I think it's worth it.
    IMO, are good ones look similar to Aldos and Lumsden's one on Iron Division Cap.
    If I have received the skulls,will make better photos and upload here.
    As allway, every opinion and comment is welcome.
    Regards, Jannis.
    Another one new addition, of a small collection. Another one new addition, of a small collection.
    Another one new addition, of a small collection. Another one new addition, of a small collection.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another one new addition, of a small collection.
    P
    Many

?

Jannis, I would probably have taken a chance also for the right price. There seems to be a lot of nice things in that lot. I would say based on those pictures at least some of them may be reproductions. The thin attachment prongs stand out the most. We will have to wait for clear pictures as you said. In the meantime some more pictures for comparison.

Al

Another one new addition, of a small collection.Another one new addition, of a small collection.

Another one new addition, of a small collection.Another one new addition, of a small collection.
    Credit: Toby
    Regards, Al

Hi, Al, the price was more as well. Thanks for the additional photos.
    If I have received the skulls, will make better photos and upload here.
    Regards, Jannis.

CBH
    ?

The three rare birds in one group would put me off.
    Being a rather rare variant.

?

Here are some more photographic references courtesy of Robin Lumsden, Stonemint, Toby .... Weitze and Ruptured Duck. Coincidentally I just bought a small early NSDAP eagle that matched the patina perfectly of my skull.

Regards, Al

Hello.
    Arrived today.
    As allways,every opinion and comment is welcome.
    Regards,Jannis.

?

Jannis, my simple observation is that if I came across specimen #1 I would probably be convinced except for the thin attachment prongs. Also note the way the prongs are attached to the skull in an "L" shape or perpendicular manner. I can't tell from the photo if #1 has the prongs attached in this manner. The other two are less convincing because of their pristine condition however I don't like to dismiss them solely on the new appearance. The reverse side of the last two badges in particular look like they are cast not stamped, there are a few blemishes or protrusions on the teeth like cast residue. The first one does not show it but perhaps it was artificially aged. That fact that all three are from the same source and seem identical except for the patina raises suspicion as pointed out by Chris. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer but I feel they are rather good quality replicas. I hope I am proven wrong, I would have easily fallen for the first one.

Regards, Al

Regards, Al

Hello Al.
    Thanks for your observations.
    With the first skull the prongs are attached to the skull in perpendicular manner.
    Has remain of the silver plating on the front and back.
    I checked the other two for casting residue and found none.
    The one you circled in red was just filth.
    Yours and mine are made from two different stamps.
    I'm not convinced with the skulls either, so I have ask for help.
    Regards, Jannis.

?

Yes Jannis, I did notice the differences under the nasal cavity. Mine seems to have a bump that protrudes while yours seems to have the reverse pattern indented. Also now that you pointed out the sutures it's quite apparent they are from different die stamps. I wish you luck on this.

Al
    Regards, Al

Quote by johanis1860 View Post
    I checked the other two for casting residue and found none.
    Remember that not finding remains of cast iron does not validate the skull, many copies were made by die strike and even easier with such thin plates.

Another one new addition, of a small collection.Another one new addition, of a small collection.Another one new addition, of a small collection.Another one new addition, of a small collection.
    Jedem das Seine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast