Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

D&S Marked Totenkopf Hat Insignia

Article about: Hello everyone and thank you for any help you can furnish. I was browsing an antique store and spotted this D&S marked totenkopf. Comparing to examples in this forum I noted similarities

Default D&S Marked Totenkopf Hat Insignia

Hello everyone and thank you for any help you can furnish.

I was browsing an antique store and spotted this D&S marked totenkopf. Comparing to examples in this forum I noted similarities. The RZM is stamped into the piece while the D.S.M. And GES. GESH is raised. Both prongs are missing. The seller is asking $500 (I have not purchased this item). The item is in a plastic holder (seller would not remove) so this may be a red flag. Hopefully the images I provided with be enough to make a determination.

Not being an expert and knowing reproductions are rampant I ask for your expertise.

Thank you, Ron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D&S Marked Totenkopf Hat Insignia   D&S Marked Totenkopf Hat Insignia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement D&S Marked Totenkopf Hat Insignia
    P
    Many

?

It's unfortunate the seller would not remove it from the plastic sleeve. The plastic really distorts the tiny details as well as the patina. It stands a chance of being authentic but I'm not comfortable saying definitively because of the obscured detail. Compared to mine it shows all the main characteristics you'd expect to see but without clear detail it's hard to pick out signs of cast residue. The M of the DSM looks odd but I don't know if it's just distorted in the photo. also the area under the nasal opening has a small cleft where it divides in half, also may be a distortion in the photo. That being said a skull like this is rare even without prongs might be worth upwards of $1,500 - $1,800. Complete as much as $2500. Tough choice, maybe one of our other scull savants with a keen eye can tell you for sure But I'm leaning towards it being a good one.

D&S Marked Totenkopf Hat InsigniaD&S Marked Totenkopf Hat Insignia

Regards, Al

?

Better photos would help as Al indicates. Hopefully the owner will let you get a better look to be sure.

Tim

Thank you Aldo for your detailed response. I will get back with the seller and politely but firmly ask for more images.
    Regards, Ron

?

Here is a better comparison of the DSM marking mine on the left vs yours on the right

Regards, Al

Thank you. Do you think better pictures are necessary to determine authenticity?
    Ron

?

I do. I'm probably being over cautious but I 'd hate to steer you wrong. I reached out to some other collectors let see if we get a response. If not then get better photo's.
    Regards, Al

Okay, was able to get new images without plastic covering.
    Thank you for your help.
    Ron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture D&S Marked Totenkopf Hat Insignia   D&S Marked Totenkopf Hat Insignia  

D&S Marked Totenkopf Hat Insignia   D&S Marked Totenkopf Hat Insignia  

Quote by scruff1 View Post
    Thank you. Do you think better pictures are necessary to determine authenticity?
    Ron
    Absolutely !! ...clear photos can make or break your wallet and you dont want to be at a loss if this insignia is bad.
    If the seller was willing to show you that skull inside the plastic ..I can see why not he can take it out of the plastic wrap.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Looking at these on my phone but I can see now that it’s a good one in cupal, a bit worn but very nice
    Regards, Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast