Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Early Deschler D.&.S.M SS Totenkopf

Article about: This fine 2nd Pattern SS Totenkopf is my recent acquisition. The patina on this piece is hard to capture on any photograph. It has probably been the hardest skull to photograph so far for me

Dos
    ?

Default Early Deschler D.&.S.M SS Totenkopf

This fine 2nd Pattern SS Totenkopf is my recent acquisition. The patina on this piece is hard to capture on any photograph. It has probably been the hardest skull to photograph so far for me. I have tried different backgrounds and the picture with the white background captures the colors the best way compared to how it looks in real life. I think this is due to the silver plating that is on this example. The details on this D.S.&M. TK are amazing compared to the later Deschlers, but i will spare you all the differences that are known by the ones that are interested and collect these fine insignia! This has also been explained many times before me. Maybe i will mention this later on in my collection page!

My Skulls Of War

For the ones that have a sharp mind and eye, It was not intended this way. I noticed it after i made a preview. Enjoy!

-Dos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early Deschler D.&.S.M SS Totenkopf
    P
    Many

?

What an excellent rare skull, congratulations. I often have the same problem with the patina which is why I take so many photographs under different lighting conditions. Thanks for posting.

A beautiful peice with a wonderful patina Marten, congrats!

Dos
    ?

Quote by Aldo View Post
    What an excellent rare skull, congratulations. I often have the same problem with the patina which is why I take so many photographs under different lighting conditions. Thanks for posting.
    Thank you Al. I was in the search for a mint condition Deschler TK in any configuration before this, But the dark tarnish on this example made me change my mind. I remember you sending me a message that this one came up for sale. Glad i made the choice to buy this one. Thanks for persuading me. This variant does not come up for sale much, but having it with this darkened silver patina makes it extra special for me!

I think a few months back you mentioned here on the forum that you have bought a lightbox for taking photographs. Coincidentally i also bought a lightbox for taking pictures around the same time and this helped me take some better quality photos with my phone camera. The light can change into 5 different shades of light colors. I'm still in the marked to buy a better camera for close-ups, since the focus is often gone or the sharpness leaves some desire.

Quote by Buster1 View Post
    A beautiful peice with a wonderful patina Marten, congrats!
    Thanks Dan, Appreciate it! Very happy with it

-Dos

"The Band Of Skull Brothers"

Thank you for sharing Marten!

At first, I too wanted only the nicest most shiny examples, but after getting a couple in hand with some gorgeous natural patina, my view is starting to change. I do have a couple mint examples, but I love my natural patina ones just as much. Now to learn how to photograph these small elusive objects. Ive finally pulled my digital camera out and will start playing with it tonight

?

I use my camera phone for mostly everything except small items. A decent digital camera with macro functions is necessary to get the right photo's on these skulls. The macro settings on the digital camera make all the difference in the world. I have tried all types of backgrounds but I feel those reds and burgundy backdrops contrast the best with the metal skulls. Black backgrounds never seem to work for me. Actually the palm of your hand works best, but no one wants to see a grubby hand in the photo so I avoid doing that.
    Natural lighting outside, not in direct sunlight or on a cloudy day works best. Sometimes I'll go to the lightest room in the house near a window to get the shot. At times I take them with lamps or other artificial light but it gives them a different appearance. I generally don't photograph them completely flat because it causes too many shadows. I try to prop up the background board at an angle to optimize the light hitting the objects. It can be frustrating when all the skulls you set up come cascading down because the angle is too high.
    The lightbox was also a disappointment because it's too antiseptic looking and washes out all colors. Needless to say I take tons of pictures then just start eliminating the bad ones and keep only the best. I don't know if any of this helps but that is my process.

Actually that helps a ton Al. I do have a really nice camera but haven't used it in a while since camera phones really improved, but my phone still doesn't take great pics. I got good with the camera but used it for work, Nascar races, things of that nature but never small inanimate objects, so this will be a new deal for me. You and Dos take some really great pics so gives me something to aspire too! Hopefully I'm not side tracking your thread Marten, I'm finding that the photographing part of this to be almost as fun as the collecting and reading the threads here!

Dos
    ?

Thank you for sharing Marten!

At first, I too wanted only the nicest most shiny examples, but after getting a couple in hand with some gorgeous natural patina, my view is starting to change. I do have a couple mint examples, but I love my natural patina ones just as much. Now to learn how to photograph these small elusive objects. Ive finally pulled my digital camera out and will start playing with it tonight
    No problem, my pleasure. I've always liked the been there look and sinister frost that some of these skulls get after so much time. Like Aldo mentions below, None direct sunlight or a cloudy day helps a lot!

Quote by Aldo View Post
    The lightbox was also a disappointment because it's too antiseptic looking and washes out all colors. Needless to say I take tons of pictures then just start eliminating the bad ones and keep only the best. I don't know if any of this helps but that is my process.
    Great tips Aldo, Thank you. I'm not convinced either about the lightbox, but purchased it for different purposes. The weather here is bad at the moment. When i'm not able to take them outside it will have to do for now.

Hopefully I'm not side tracking your thread Marten, I'm finding that the photographing part of this to be almost as fun as the collecting and reading the threads here!
    Thanks, No not at all. Having a good discussion and sharing tips about how to take better photos of these insignia benefits us all!

I've recently purchased something crazy. Just a little oddity that is something i also like to display amongst other things. These dices are made out of bone and are from the American Civil War. Note how small they are in comparison to a regular M1/52 Deschler TK. Even harder to photograph!

Goodluck,

-Dos

?

You did a good job, it looks great!

Wow really cool find Dos and a great pic!

Without zooming into the max here it almost looks like its all floating in space with the black background. I suppose a flash from a camera would ruin that illusion. How far away did you have ambient light?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast