Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...

Article about: Hello - I've yet to purchase an authentic cap skull (would like to eventually) and found this example/would appreciate any opinions re: its authenticity.

Default GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...

Hello -

I've yet to purchase an authentic cap skull (would like to eventually) and found this example/would appreciate any opinions re: its authenticity.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...   GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...  

GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...   GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...  

GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...   GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...
    P
    Many

?

In my opinion this is a cast replica not an authentic die struck badge. the irregularities are most noticeable on the reverse side of the eye and nose cavities. The material and striations on the reverse almost resemble the late war 3 prong type. I only own one Assmann of this type and it is riddled with zinc pest so hard to compare.

GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...

GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...

Regards, Al

?

I also just noticed this irregularity. All this extra material is a sure sign of a molded copy

GES. GESCH. marked Assmann & Söhne Totenkopf - seeking opinions about its authenticity...
    Regards, Al

Greatly appreciate the feedback! Saved me and hopefully this post can help others avoid a costly mistake as well.

Thanks again -

?

Quote by Neighbor View Post
    Greatly appreciate the feedback! Saved me and hopefully this post can help others avoid a costly mistake as well.

Thanks again -
    This was just listed on trustworthy website. This is what you are looking for in an Assmann TK. Not cheap though

Regards, Al

?

Someone added that nice Assmann above to their collection. I was very tempted but I'd rather save for a nice cap. happy hunting!
    Regards, Al

?

This is a cupal version Assmann posted by Chris K a few years ago. This is a real beauty. I've not come across another cupal version.

Credit: Chris K
    Regards, Al

It is original, misaligned construction defect.
    although with this misalignment they avoided manufacturing errors on the front of the mw zinc assmann.

What you have identified as "extra material is a sure sign of a molded copy" , all of Assmann's zinc ges.gesch show these defects, compared to an early mw zinc, which has it in same area.

and in this area more visible , the diference is the alignment in the die struck .

"The material and striations on the reverse almost resemble the late war 3 prong type"

correct, and that has not yet been imitated in the copies at the moment, like irregularities on the back of the m1/167 eagle in zinc , it is a huge green flag towards the authentication of originality, also because of that characteristic we could place it in 3/3 of 1944 to 1/3 of 1945 an authentic last ditch skull.

The solder on the prongs showing that brown residue that indicates it was done with Rosin-core which is an alloy of tin and lead also hints that there isn't much chance it was done recently and is another little green flag.

sheet thickness is correct, compared to an early mw zinc, great green flag.

Just my opinion, I hope this helps and doesn't cause confusion.

?

You make a compelling argument and I stand corrected.

However I'm still not a fan of this one. I have never seen these skulls with the defects until now.

What material is the O/P Tk made of, Zinc? Is it the same material as the late war TK's I posted?
    Regards, Al

Yes, the material of the op skull is zinc , is difficult to find repeated unusual defects, even the ones that had misaligned hole drilling are different from each other , here one and with the same zinc.

here another three hooks same zinc and with air bubble other different manufacturing error and changed prongs (post or war time change ?).

I suppose that the quality was already conspicuous by its absence, the striations are normally in horizontal in net examples and cover one side of the sheet that can be on the front or back of the piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast