Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Ground Dug Deschler Und Sohn Totenkopf

Article about: Just got my first Totenkopf at a local Militaria show today which I believe to be original. It's a bit chewed up but I did get it for a reasonable price.

Default Ground Dug Deschler Und Sohn Totenkopf

Just got my first Totenkopf at a local Militaria show today which I believe to be original. It's a bit chewed up but I did get it for a reasonable price.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ground Dug Deschler Und Sohn Totenkopf
    P
    Many

Congrats!
    IMO,is good one,stamp variant "2 bigger as 5".
    Regards,Jannis.
    Ground Dug Deschler Und Sohn Totenkopf Ground Dug Deschler Und Sohn Totenkopf

Thanks! I agree, it definitely looks like a dead-ringer for that variant!

I'm curious what could have caused that kind of deterioration mine though. A cursory glance on Google and I can't seem to find Totenkopfs with deterioration quite like that.

Quote by Zealous255 View Post
    Thanks! I agree, it definitely looks like a dead-ringer for that variant!

I'm curious what could have caused that kind of deterioration , corrosion , mine though. A cursory glance on Google and I can't seem to find Totenkopfs with deterioration quite like that.
    Your Deschler skull is made of cupal, aluminium sandwiched between two layers of copper and its deterioration is due to corrosion by contact with some type of chemical or microbiologically influenced corrosion .

Here you can see an example of aluminum front and copper back where the aluminium shows the same deterioration , corrosion and copper has also been eaten.

Here you can see an example of an aluminium skull in contact with this moss that causes the same deterioration , corrosion , in aluminium.

I hope this helps.
    Jedem das Seine

For sure, definitely! Thanks!

?

Here are some examples of relic skulls from my collection. Some are cupal others are zinc. Depending on the metal and the conditions they were subjected to you get different results in deterioration. Notice the attachment prongs which are brass are hardly affected

Ground Dug Deschler Und Sohn TotenkopfGround Dug Deschler Und Sohn Totenkopf

Regards, Al

I hope you don't mind me doing a forensic autopsy on your skulls.

1- not cupal skull in your examples, it is aluminium on the front with a simple negative copper layer on the back, and this deterioration is normal to expect in an excavated field, without contact with chemical reactions or microbiologically influenced corrosion.
    Here you can see with another example that I have in the classifieds section, the aluminium is deteriorated but retains its integrity and as in yours, the copper part has hardly deteriorated.

2- I doubt that it is unearthed since it presents what is called Weissrost or white rust , created by poor conservation of a previous owner , is not zinc pest typical in dug up zinc.
    here is an excellent explanation of the differences.
    Major threat to your WW2 Miltiaria: Zinc Pest and White Rust - Military Trader/Vehicles

3- and an example of zinc pest, stopped with protective chemicals as in its your other more advanced examples of deterioration with the colors that are expected to be seen depending on the product used.

4- and here, as I have said before, skulls with aluminium is seen that it does not preserve its integrity, molten white appearance and cooper been eaten, the zinc one although they have applied protective chemical products against the zinc pest , zinc does not change the color expected when applied and which has been affected by contact with chemical reactions or microbiologically influenced corrosion too.

I hope this helps.
    Jedem das Seine

Dos
    ?

In my experience working with Cupal materials in the past. (Making conventional tools and die stamps, and/or revising them.) It just means a copper base material with an Aluminum material on top or on both sides… It can also be the other way around, With a Aluminum base material layered with copper, but that is not seen often. It means a combination of Copper (Chemical element "CU") and Aluminum (Chemical element "AL") with block P of the periodic table. CUPAL.

you are right Dos.
    My fault,
    but I hope we have gotten something positive out of this mistake and have understood the differences between the copper-aluminum-copper skulls and eagles and the aluminum-copper skulls and eagles.
    Jedem das Seine