Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

RZM M1/52 skull

Article about: by Styx Anddd, what do you reckon on this one? I honestly have no clue with this, I haven't seen enough, but my natural inclination is to believe it's fake. There is the biggest thread ever

Default Re: SS Totenkopf, real or fake?

They're both fake I think, certainly the first one. The 2nd one could be a variety of the 'first pattern' totenkopf that I've never seen, some of those look strange... though I'm pretty certain it's just a fake. If you post bigger pictures that would be useful for future assistance on these things, it's all in the detail.

Mat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RZM M1/52 skull
    P
    Many

?

Made the pictures bigger! And ah, suspected as much, thanks.

The first of the two you posted, is a bad fake of an 'Assmann' totenkopf. Here's pictures of originals I've saved.

Mat
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RZM M1/52 skull   RZM M1/52 skull  

RZM M1/52 skull  

?

Great, thank you, I've saved those myself now and have done what you suggested and made the 'Fake' and 'Real' folders. Where do you get yours, out of interest? I always have trouble finding reliable sellers of these things (I suppose because there aren't many).

I didn't buy mine from a dealer, just a guy selling off some old things. The man selling it was given it by his Uncle, who brought it back from Germany during the war. Here's my thread about it if you're interested: RZM M1/52 Totenkopf cap skull with a story

As for dealers, there's only one who I use frequently for German militaria: https://www.butschek-antiques.com/in...fc0fee0b18bc3& -this guy is very reliable and great to deal with. I've only ever seen two totenkopf badges for sale there though, I don't think you'll find any dealer who has many of them. You just have to look around and be patient, it took me three years of searching and posting on here before I was lucky enough to find mine! It's a case of learning and checking the originality of what you come across here (before purchasing!), and then finding something that you can afford. These things are highly sought-after, there's endless people searching for the rare few original examples!

By the way, check out the 'sticky' thread at the top of this part of the forum, about skull and eagle insignia. It has a list of all known makers and RZM marks which is definitely useful to refer to, and it's a good place to start with your reference picture collection.

Mat

?

Thanks for all the help; I'll check out the dealer, and I'll make a note of the information on the sticky. Now I have to move on to checking whether a couple of my armbands are the real deal too! https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/heer-...l-fake-111011/

You're welcome. I have absolutely no experience with armbands, so I'll leave that to experts! By the way, even if you're no longer able to return the items you've bought from this dealer, I recommend informing him they are fake and providing details as to why. I have done so with one of the dealers I purchase from, who like the person you describe, is not intentionally selling fakes- he welcomes the information, and then labels fakes as such.

Mat

?

Probably should. Only problem is, he's only in town from April till September, so I'm stuck now until next year; and my only other supplier is in Cambridge, which is a little too far from where I live (although he's got some pretty good stuff; might be getting a German infantry helmet from Normandy and a Luftwaffe serving dish, plus the aforementioned flag and banner pole top...). But when he's back, I'll provide some images of the genuine article, hopefully he won't make the same mistake again.

?

RZM M1/52 skull
    A guy I got this from said they were "late war" SS Totenkopf but that hasn't sit well with me. Is this a fake? (if better quality photo is required, no problem, let me know).

?

SS TK Looks odd to me. Terrible detail and there appears to be casting marks.

As far as the panzer skulls, I have a few original examples in my collection:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RZM M1/52 skull   RZM M1/52 skull  

RZM M1/52 skull   RZM M1/52 skull  

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast