Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Skull 499/41

Article about: Hello, is it possible to have your opinion on this 499/41? Thank you. Regards.

?

Default Skull 499/41

Hello,
    is it possible to have your opinion on this 499/41?
    Thank you.
    Regards.

Skull 499/41
    Skull 499/41
    Skull 499/41
    Skull 499/41
    Skull 499/41

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Skull 499/41
    P
    Many

Looks like original cupal zimmerman with the box type attachements

?

Thank you very much Buster1...
    According to the seller it would be in aluminum and a reduced spindle ...
    But hey it is not cheap, I have to find out now if it is really at the right market price.
    Best regards.

Quote by FABIE View Post
    Thank you very much Buster1...
    According to the seller it would be in aluminum and a reduced spindle ...
    But hey it is not cheap, I have to find out now if it is really at the right market price.
    Best regards.
    You're welcome. Ive been watching that item for a while and have the uncensored pics as well. It is a lovely peice and Ive been searching for one with the box type attachements, but its more then I wanted to spend on a cupal zimmerman. He is not cheap and will not budge on price, however his items are real

?

What I have learned from colleagues like "another ant" is that this is not cupal but rather a simple aluminum layer on a copper backing. That's why all the copper shows on the back and not on the front. Cupal would be aluminum coated with copper on both sides then plated. here is my example that I mistakenly thought was cupal as well, and a relic of the same variety.

Skull 499/41Skull 499/41

CUPAL metal sheets - Promet AG
    Regards, Al

?

Here is a cupal Overhoff that is so worn that it shows the aluminum base in red, the copper clearly the majority of the skull, and the remnants of silver paint in blue. This example in my collection was pointed out to me by Winkleman on the original thread and illustrates perfectly the various layers.

Skull 499/41
    Regards, Al

?

Ah OK,
    I was just wondering why it had this patina on the back.
    Now I have the answer to my question / thank you Aldo- Top

It's true Buster1 which is not given, the prices of these little things are getting overpriced.
    In comparison, it's about the price of an ounce of gold.
    Hopefully then that ca take in value, in addition to the historical dimension that it represents.
    Thank Buster1

?

I also have a Zimmermann eagle that illustrates the same composition, Alu on a copper backing I also mistakenly thought it was cupal. I did not understand how something so pristine could have all the copper showing on the back until it was explained to me

Skull 499/41
    Skull 499/41
    Skull 499/41
    Regards, Al

Thanks for the insight Al. I stated the skull was cupal because thats how the seller has it listed. I guess I'm still a little confused as to the difference between cupal and a simple layer of aluminum over copper is, I thought that was what cupal was, but I do remember it briefly discussed here. I need to double check the couple zimmermans I have to confirm they are cupal

?

Me too Dan, I said everything was cupal that had copper. My understanding is Cupal is an aluminum core surrounded by copper on both sides. This one in the O/P is simply one layer of aluminum on top and one layer of copper on the back. Most dealers also classify these as cupal, including the eagle and skull I posted above. This area of collecting requires a lot of knowledge to decipher the truth and I feel I've only scratched the surface. I should have stuck to Tinnies and stickpins.

Skull 499/41
    Regards, Al

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast