Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Skull & Eagle for SS Visor..Real?

Article about: Hello again. i was wondering what some of you think of these items. It is a SS visor cap badge set, So the Skull and the eagle. These are offered in a set for a very reasonable price, and i

Default Re: Skull & Eagle for SS Visor..Real?

Quote by Squadra33 View Post
    Thats why i asked you guys @ the forum.
    Just started to take interrest in de insignia & badge stuff.
    So yes i am learning, and learning is best done when you study & ask the help of people with more expertise.
    And I do own a few books on this subject, wich a read regularly.
    But asking help cant hurt if you are not sure about something...can it.
    So i do take your comment in the spirit of wich it was intended, and i thank you for your dose of reality.
    And perhaps i allready enjoy this hobby/interrest as much as you do, even if i still have a lot to learn.
    In all fairness, when you were told that they were fake, your next post came accross as kind of
    " Well how do you know, I think they are ok"
    That is never the intention of a poster here, but it is the intention to help the un initiated, but question someones integrity, and expect a barrage.
    Especially someone as knowledgeable as Ade, and Brad.

These lessons of originality, can not be found in books alone, you have to handle real ones and study them.

Most people will tell you that it is sometimes difficult to tell by pictures alone if an item is fake, however there are times when this is made easier.

Please do not take offence by the comments you have received, it seems that you have a tang of sarcasm in your last post. Members here are only trying to help, but no body likes being questioned. I for one, will sometimes say one or two words, and that is usually sufficient

But having one of 2 books is not nearly enough, and some of these guys have been collecting for 35-40 years (me included) before the advent of the internet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Skull & Eagle for SS Visor..Real?
    P
    Many

Quote by Squadra33 View Post
    ...And perhaps i allready enjoy this hobby/interrest as much as you do, even if i still have a lot to learn.
    Well, I, for one, would not enjoy looking at a sea of militaria and knowing that I had no way of telling what was real from what was fake; I would not enjoy hoping to find an internet connection to ask others to help me any time I wanted to make a purchase; I would not enjoy spending money on something I believed [blindly hoped] was real, only to find out later that I had been fooled and lost my money.

I can say that I worry little about those things, because of years of study. Therefore I would say that I can enjoy this hobby, if not more than you, at least with greater personal satisfaction and peace of mind.

I am not trying to be condescending. Do I know everything? Far from it. Do I still make mistakes? Of course. Do I still occasionally ask my friends and colleagues for their help/opinions? You bet. All I am trying to say is that the more you study and learn, the better you can truly appreciate and, yes, enjoy this hobby. Too many new collectors get discouraged and quit, because they get burned by fakes time and time again. I would like for that to not happen to you.

Bwanek1 i apreciate your concerne and comments.
    And if my last post came over the wrong way, i am sorry
    because there was no sarcasm intended.

And my comment on it being fake is not to qeustion anyone, i only try to learn and hopefully someday will be educated and experienced enough to recognize the signs of fake items.

So if anyone has taken offence i am deeply sorry, as that was in no way my intention.
    I really appreciate all input and help you guys offer.

And as you stated bwanek1 hopefully someday enjoy being on the same level as some of you guys.

For now i enjoy it as much as i can on my level...learning, but really loving my hobby even if i am just starting and still have a lot to learn.

Hope that you understand that my comment was with nothing but the right intension. perhaps i should choose my words better when posting, but english is not my first language so please if any comment made by me comes over the wrong way i assure you this is never meant this way...

Sincerely

Squadra33

The Wolfe Maederer Burrmeister Empire Military Auction site has a an early and nicely preserved set of Muetzenabzeichen for sale at a princely sum. The badges are exactly what I need, but the price is sky high.

I think many people here have never seen or handled real insignia, and have only admired our electronic pictures.

Without the real thing to ponder, the prospect of acquiring these things is a bridge too far.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Skull & Eagle for SS Visor..Real?  

or this, which is not for sale....
    Attached Images Attached Images Skull & Eagle for SS Visor..Real? 

Here's a nice Hicke eagle I just sold One prong broken, but still a desirable piece
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Skull & Eagle for SS Visor..Real?   Skull & Eagle for SS Visor..Real?  

?

Ah, the joys of collecting these things!

Squadra33, no need to apologize, just look through as many threads as you can and you will soon begin to spot which are obviously fake like the ones you posted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2