Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

SS Deschler Skull

Article about: Hi Guys, Could you advise me on this skull please. All details seem correct, a few things have 'thrown me' though: 1 Lack of detail on the right temple sutures (I found an example on John T'

Default SS Deschler Skull

Hi Guys,
    Could you advise me on this skull please. All details seem correct, a few things have 'thrown me' though:
    1 Lack of detail on the right temple sutures (I found an example on John T's site that looks identical to mine, a few flaws which match with mine & the suture detailing, attached a pic, the only difference is that this example is an RZM 52 & mine is an RZM 1/52)
    2 Around the edge there is some slight flaking (the silver plating coming off ?)
    3 Top edge of the skull (right side) there is a slight crease, likewise too on the lower left jaw edge
    4 The edges of the crossbones have slight horizontal lines (looks to be the plating ?)
    The nasal & eye cavities seem spot on & weight is 3 grams, under a bright light I can see a bit of 'yellow' here & there, also in whilst catching 'the sunlight' you can see the copper/yellow showing through, the patina reminds me a little of old silver, wondered if one of our experts in this field could take a look for me & offer me their valued opinion please ?
    Cheers
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Deschler Skull   SS Deschler Skull  

SS Deschler Skull   SS Deschler Skull  

SS Deschler Skull  
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Deschler Skull 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Deschler Skull
    P
    Many

what you have there is a Deschler known as transitional.
    the differences with the best known cupal Deschler are the largest rzm brand and with the m1 / 52 in the lower position, another difference is the thickness of the rear contour, which corresponds to the fact that being the early rzm m1 / 52 is made of tombak not cupal like the later ones.
    It should be noted that it is rare to see it with the usual prongs of the later Deschler, here you can see how they normally looked.

SS Deschler Skull

SS Deschler Skull

SS Deschler Skull

I hope this helps.
    Jedem das Seine

?

Paul, great looking skull. Congrats, Al
    Regards, Al

Thank you for your detailed reply Another Ant, my example is identical in colour/patina (my photography skills I'm afraid !), the above points I mentioned 'foxed me' a little & with my limited knowledge I needed an expert's advice, very much appreciated ! My example, then is using the RZM 52 front die, with the rear RZM M1/52 die(It did strike me that this mark is very detailed....die not worn out as yet),usual/old style prong stock depleted, next/new style added.....no wonder I was confused ! I didn't realise the right temple detailing was a factor in these early skulls.....maybe/possibly that was the die becoming worn ? The skull also has a 'tinny' sound when you tap it. Thank you kindly for sharing your knowledge with me in this exceptionally tricky field !
    Cheers for your comment Al !
    Regards
    Paul