Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

13th SS Handschar collar tab

Article about: I finally picked up a nice Handschar collar tab to go with my fez. I know they are abundantly available and economical compared to other tabs so i took my time and found the perfect one at t

Quote by Vocht View Post
    Charly Farley, I want to chime in on your cufftitle. I have been researching the 13th SS for a few weeks now out of personal curiosity. Let me quote you something from one of the best SS insignia books out there: Cloth Insignia of the SS - John R. Angolia & Stan Cook. Page 344

"The Division was never authorized a sleeveband, but members of the division wear the Croatian national Shield. The shield was authorised for wear by an order dated 30 April 1943, intitially to be worn on the center right sleeve. But this was ignored, and wear was common on the left sleeve just below the sleeve eagle. Two patterns existed, both forming red and white checker-board patten."

I would personally stay away if it is expensive.
    Is this book good? I see there was one in 1983(?) and then an updated one in 1989(?)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 13th SS Handschar collar tab
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Charlie Farley View Post
    Aldo

Thanks for sharing, a really great collection.

So here is something to throw into the mix -
    I am a cuff title collector, I have collected cuff bands for over 30 years and I have several hundred.
    Now, we all know that many officers had aspects of their uniform privately made from coats to cuff bands.
    Now I personally can't fault this though I am sure many will.
    Something privately made, sent to him by his family, made whilst on leave etc etc
    I have never seen another one in 30 years of collecting cuff bands.

Attachment 1454957
    Whlle looking at the weave of the black basic cuff title, this is not something made during WW2. The odd black weave pattern cuff title was used for many fake cuff titles made decades ago.
    Sorry for the bad news.

?

Close up:

Charlie has not posted for a while after a few interesting threads regarding thr sale of his items. As you have posted out it is a older fake, and as Vocht noted a unit not issued a named CT.

Vocht,

Thanks for the message and I agree with what was written.
    You know as well as I do that many officers had own insignia made up.
    Why wouldn't an officer on leave for example of had a couple of cuff bands made up...

Nobody really cared...the were fighting on the front....Nobody would criticise a piece of insignia.

I was a front line combat soldier for 22 years....when we were in places like Chad, Angola and Sudan we had local made sleeve badges and we were one of be best equipped military units in the world.....

Everything about this cuff band is right in every way....

Quote by Charlie Farley View Post
    Vocht,

Thanks for the message and I agree with what was written.
    You know as well as I do that many officers had own insignia made up.
    Why wouldn't an officer on leave for example of had a couple of cuff bands made up...

Nobody really cared...the were fighting on the front....Nobody would criticise a piece of insignia.

I was a front line combat soldier for 22 years....when we were in places like Chad, Angola and Sudan we had local made sleeve badges and we were one of be best equipped military units in the world.....

Everything about this cuff band is right in every way....
    Well lets be real that logic really does not work in collecting of anything.
    If you embrace the "Why wouldn't or why cant it be real" attitude then any fantasy item would be speculated over. There needs to be some credible evidence behind it.

"Nobody really cared...the were fighting on the front....Nobody would criticise a piece of insignia." this comment is also a large fallacy.

Again without some form of proof, and with what MM1985 has pointed out it does look like a older fake.

Morris

?

Hi Charlie, well this hobby does have quite the unusual exceptions. I am sorry for reading all of the comments a few weeks after the last posts. I wanted to show you this:

The image is too vague to make out what the cuffband spells. Not sure if it reads Handschar or not.

CBH
    ?

It looks to me more like something being carried in the fold of his French cuffs, which was a common practice at the time.

?

This is the same man at a different angle. I doubt it spells Handschar. Looks to me like there are two seperate words on the cuff. Anyone a clue?

I still believe the cuffband reading Handschar never existed.

CBH
    ?

Also they where only titled Handschar May 15 1944, 9 months after formation.
    Possibly a cuff from a previous unit, I forgot what units where used to bulk out Handschar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2