Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Big SS house flag 385 x 129 cm - real or fake?

Article about: Hi! Can anyone please advice me on this SS Flag? I Have been told its the real und I would like to buy this flag. Is it real or fake? Thanks a lot for your opinions! Best regards Panzer

?

Seems these are not grommets after all and it looks like there were 18 holder rings at one time...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Big SS house flag 385 x 129 cm - real or fake?  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Big SS house flag 385 x 129 cm - real or fake?
    P
    Many

More photos of the spots.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Big SS house flag 385 x 129 cm - real or fake?   Big SS house flag 385 x 129 cm - real or fake?  

Big SS house flag 385 x 129 cm - real or fake?   Big SS house flag 385 x 129 cm - real or fake?  

Big SS house flag 385 x 129 cm - real or fake?  

Can this flag to be like this one at the photo?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Big SS house flag 385 x 129 cm - real or fake?  

Appreciate the additional photos.. As Gwar pointed out these look like suspension rings.. This may have hung indoors based on the construction of the rings.. These would most likely not stand up to the elements outside such as heavy wind and when wet it may have weighed on the rings and pulled down. With that said it is possible that this banner was pulled down from where ever it hung by a Soldier... but that is pure speculation...

I am still a little skeptical about the origins of the flag.. The certificate of authenticity means nothing without some form of veteran provenance in my opinion. All it says in the letter is that the flag is authentic to the Third Reich period. It says nothing about this being a veteran bring back.. For me I would want more information if I am going to invest large sums of cash on something from the SS.

Here is a link to a discussion about Oak Leaf militaria.

Has anyone dealt with Oakleaf Militaria?

I have not dealt with this vendor before and regardless of reputation the key before purchasing is to know what you are looking for and study it before investing.

If the flag is being sold to you after it was purchased from Oak Leaf by another person who is now selling it to you whatever the return policy was that may have been established with the original buyer will most likely not be honored with a new owner.

Here is an interview with the owner:

10 questions with Kristian Anderson - Military Trader/Vehicles

I hope this helps you with your decision making process...

Smitty

CBH
    ?

I’d say it’s a movie prop or something similar.

The runes in the photo look to be a lot larger than those on the flag in question and the flag width also appears to be much larger. Would need dimensions of the Runes on the flag you are interested in purchasing for a comparison..

Smitty

The SS runes are 61 x 61 cm

Panzer,,

Thank you for the dimensions...

So 61cms = 24 inches which is 2 feet long. Those appear to be decent size Runes..

Now I apologize but I would ask for one more set of dimensions.. What is the length and width of the flag (banner) overall?

And to get to the stains.. These look to be water stains, most likely from storage..

Again I apologize for so many questions about the dimensions..

I will be stepping away from the computer for a while but I will get back with you later today..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

The size of the flag is 385 x 129 cm

Greetings Panzer,

I did a little more searching and the suspension rings if authentic should be nickle. The size of the flag in inches and feet (12.5 feet long, 4 foot 2 inches wide with 2 foot SS runes).

I am still looking to see if I can find some more specific examples of this type of vertical banner to confirm. I have several SS photo and reference books that I am looking through as well as some other references which are in German and it takes some time for my wife to translate for me....

I would not put too much belief into the fact that a certificate of someone's authenticity is also included without some more provenance as I already stated, but with that said I feel a little more confident that this may be a Third Reich period piece, but as I said I like both provenance and historical proof through either period photos or references to support. I understand that it is not always the case with items like this and since SS artifacts are highly sought after which makes them highly copied and reproduced one must really study and know the subject area before making a financial investment only to learn it was a financial mistake..

Smitty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast